Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The World is my Refrigerator, and I have Pork  (Read 1127 times)

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
The World is my Refrigerator, and I have Pork
« on: February 01, 2018, 03:09:19 AM »
Yesterday morning the Lady said she wanted sausage so I got a 9-pound pork butt @ $1.79/lb. I set up on the patio table and brought out the Chop-Rite #10 with a beverage and some NPR on the radio.

So why is this on a Weber board? Since the day was breezy I decided to run DaWeber instead of the offset, because it can ignore the wind. I used small maple splits as kindling and started a modest load of charcoal. Then I added some larger splits for cooking.

I smoked some thick slices of the pork along with some jalapenos. I set it up so some pieces would cook more than others; the pieces that were cooked more were cut up to go into a batch of chile, and the under-cooked pieces went through the grinder with the rest of the pork, to add a smoky flavor to a big batch of breakfast sausage.

So begins 2018 for the Weber that I rescued last fall. On we will go...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 03:33:22 AM by bluewhisper »

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
Re: The World is my Refrigerator, and I have Pork
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 03:20:50 AM »
Lol when she said she wanted sausage I would of just pulled it out lol sorry had to be done , grate cook 2

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 03:22:08 AM »
Can't pass up a meat joke 🤤

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 03:41:33 AM »
I should add more pics: Instead of evenly distributing the heat, I let one part run hotter so as to cook some of the meat more than the rest of it, along with the peppers. I didn't intend to cook any of it completely because the cooking would be finished either in the chili or in the sausage.

BTW the air flow was controlled by the top vent. I still need to work on the bottom vents which are stuck about half-open because the kettle sat out in the weather with the lid off for an  unknown length of time before I got it. Should be an easy fix because everything seems still sound, just stuck.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 04:36:58 AM »
 Did u brine or popped ur jalapeńos or r they straight up 🤤

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 06:00:58 AM »
The jalapenos were not brined or even seeded, just stemmed and cut in half. They came out cooked, but still with a bit of crunch.

I couldn't resist buying them, the store had a big overflowing display that was just too inviting.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 12:29:23 PM »
Oh I like the idea of throwing in some peppers to smoke while you smoke some meat! I don't know anything about smoking peppers so I'll have to look more into it.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »
Try smoking/grilling them like that, chop them up fine, and stir that into mayo or mustard or a blend. Then try that on a burger or in a potato salad.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »
Looks delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow