Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: does dough go 'bad'  (Read 2208 times)

EricD

• WKC Brave
does dough go 'bad'
« on: January 30, 2018, 10:35:07 AM »
Hey all,
So I took a frozen ball of (store bought) dough out on Sunday (1/28) morning.  Let it rise for a few hours, then split it into two balls.  Placed those in tupperware containers for a second rise.   Life got in the way and I haven't made them yet.   The dough is still sitting on the counter.  They look great, nice and fluffy.
How long do you think I have until they become unusable for whatever reason?
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: does dough go 'bad'
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 10:37:43 AM »
I usually make an extra dough ball or two and will sometimes forget that they are in the oven until the next day.  (I let my dough rise in the oven, turned off).  Usually by the next day it has begun to ferment and has a strong alcohol smell.  I wouldn't ever use it at that point, but I don't know that you can't.  If they were in the fridge they would be fine.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:40:24 AM »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 10:42:39 AM »
Thanks Mike,  I haven't smelt them yet but I do know the smell your taking about.   I thought that was a yeast smell....
Do you have a gas oven?  My parents had a gas stove and the pilot light kept the inside perfect temp for rising the dough.  I have electric so I preheat it to 170 (lowest it goes).  Once it beeps I shut it off and throw the dough in for a few hours.  Works great!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 10:45:32 AM »
Perfect.  Thanks again!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:55:52 AM »
Thanks Mike,  I haven't smelt them yet but I do know the smell your taking about.   I thought that was a yeast smell....
Do you have a gas oven?  My parents had a gas stove and the pilot light kept the inside perfect temp for rising the dough.  I have electric so I preheat it to 170 (lowest it goes).  Once it beeps I shut it off and throw the dough in for a few hours.  Works great!

I don't have a gas oven but love the idea of the pilot keeping it a little warmer than room temp.  I usually turn mine on at 170 for about a minute then turn it off.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »
That must be a very old gas stove. I think my gas stove is early 90’s and it has glow plugs that start the oven that only come on when you turn the oven on.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 12:20:41 AM »
Dough is pretty resilient as long as it is prepared in a clean environment, the whole idea of proving isgiving the best environment for yeast to grow. The only problem is that bacteria loves the same environment, if it’s not green or fuzzy it’s good to go. I don’t recommend using frozen, make it fresh soooo much better and easy too

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 04:56:47 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys!
I used the dough last night.   It was 16 degrees out so I wimped out and made them inside in the oven.   The dough was fine. It felt wet and didn't want to stretch out right.   No strong alcohol smell like I was expecting.   It did't rise and get fluffy like my usual homemade dough does, but I expected that from the way it wouldn't stretch.  Taste was good, a bit on the chewy side, almost like a flatbread.  Moral of the story: As long as no fuzzy things dough doesn't go bad, but try using it within 24 hours anyway!
@HoosierKettle, I haven't lived at home in forever so yes- old stove!
@MikeRocksTheRed, I think it was you that I got the 'warm the oven up then shut off' tip from!  Thanks, works great!
@Fire Starter I usually do make my own dough, yes so much better!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »
@EricD -  Can you check back in with us tomorrow morning.  If we don't hear from you we will have the police come out for a welfare check!  LMAO!

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 08:11:58 AM »
still here!! lol

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »
still here!! lol

Haha...sweet!  Thanks for the update!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 05:18:22 PM »
[emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.