Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What lies under yonder cover!  (Read 5007 times)

AngelB

• WKC Brave
What lies under yonder cover!
« on: May 13, 2013, 04:23:00 AM »
First of all let me give a big thanks to Eastex for the great heads up on this!

She's being a little bashful!

Wow how quickly she comes around!

Now for the bad parts
Ash sweeper is shot

Broken wheel

Star nut or what ever it is called

Ok I need a little help with the ash sweeper I think the only bad parts are the blades, can they be replaced with the newer style? If not then will retrofitting a new system solve the problem? Next is the broken wheel available from somewhere? Lastly is there a fix for the rusted out star nut? I don't know if the propane assist works just yet maybe the tank is just empty. Over all I'm happy just a little scared about the ash sweeper.

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: What lies under yonder cover!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:49:55 AM »
Beautiful....  Congrats!

The "issues" you listed are easier to correct than you think.  My computer isn't playing well with this website today giving me the "Concurrent Connection Limit Exceeded" bullshit (11 users 10 guests) so I'm not providing links. 

Go to ebay and search for Weber 7409 and you'll find a few places selling the old style ash sweeper for $12.12 w/free shipping.  I needed 2 for my recent finds, but bought 4.  :)

Also Mike Stavlund just had a thread about having a local bicycle shop install a new star nut(s) for something like 4 bucks.  The wheel is part #6414.  Even if you need a new burner assembly, Weber sells them (#10401) for 20 bucks.  The igniter button is sold separately (#40826404) and is like 10 bucks.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 05:00:37 AM »
Hot damn! I'm glad you got it, I was worried you might not have seen the pm. Those reds just don't pop up that much around here and I've had my eye out for you on the next one, I remember how bad I was wanting one before I got mine. You're  in the right place to get help for sure. If we can ever string up a Texas meet up be sure to bring it along, that is one pretty red.  ;D

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:45:55 AM »
Congrats, Angel!  She's a real beauty. 

Bman is right-- you need the old style #7409 sweep no longer made or sold by Weber.  They are also available on Amazon if you prefer.  If it were me, I'd go ahead and take the bowl off of the frame so you can lay it upside down and remove the old ash sweep assembly.  I would recommend just cutting off the handle rod on either side of the nut for the simplest removal (a grinder or dremel will let you get into that tight space).  Be very careful not to damage that precious ash can bracket in the process.  (In fact, I'd do all of the disassembly first, before buying any parts, b/c if that bracket is no longer usable, you can get the newer style ash sweep, and you'll also prolly want to buy a modern ash can assembly to retrofit.)

Idahawk got his bike shop to install the star nuts, but my shop is not so helpful so I've been buying them at the bike shop and installing them myself.  I'm headed out in a minute to make a repair this morning, in fact.  I'll try to take some photos. 
One of the charcoal people.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 05:50:38 AM »
You can by the caster at Home Depot. A pair was liike $5.
Is the ash bucket cross bar any good. Its that part that holds the bucket on. If its rusted out, I woould update the whole ash assembly to the newer style.
The burner doesn't look too bad in the pics, but the age of the tank is what could cost the most.
New tanks are around $60.  I see its an "EI" or from 1997. Thats 16 years,  If the tank is that old, its expired and needs updated or recertified.
Lots of help and tips on thsi site. It will be a labor of love.  8)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:57:10 AM by Heyjude »
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 05:51:50 AM »
Hey Mike, what size are the star nuts you are using? AJ  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:47:13 AM »
The thread is "93 performer frame restoration "

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

AngelB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:52:24 AM »
Beautiful....  Congrats!

The "issues" you listed are easier to correct than you think.  My computer isn't playing well with this website today giving me the "Concurrent Connection Limit Exceeded" bullshit (11 users 10 guests) so I'm not providing links. 

Go to ebay and search for Weber 7409 and you'll find a few places selling the old style ash sweeper for $12.12 w/free shipping.  I needed 2 for my recent finds, but bought 4.  :)

Also Mike Stavlund just had a thread about having a local bicycle shop install a new star nut(s) for something like 4 bucks.  The wheel is part #6414.  Even if you need a new burner assembly, Weber sells them (#10401) for 20 bucks.  The igniter button is sold separately (#40826404) and is like 10 bucks.

Thanks, the sweeper was my biggest concern on the whole thing but not anymore with your help!

Hot damn! I'm glad you got it, I was worried you might not have seen the pm. Those reds just don't pop up that much around here and I've had my eye out for you on the next one, I remember how bad I was wanting one before I got mine. You're  in the right place to get help for sure. If we can ever string up a Texas meet up be sure to bring it along, that is one pretty red.  ;D

Thanks again, I saw your pm and had to look at it quickly as possible. I contacted him right at that moment and set up the deal. I missed out on one back in march and have been kicking my self ever since until now! Definitely down for a meet up but it would have to be local so I can bring the whole family.

Congrats, Angel!  She's a real beauty. 

Bman is right-- you need the old style #7409 sweep no longer made or sold by Weber.  They are also available on Amazon if you prefer.  If it were me, I'd go ahead and take the bowl off of the frame so you can lay it upside down and remove the old ash sweep assembly.  I would recommend just cutting off the handle rod on either side of the nut for the simplest removal (a grinder or dremel will let you get into that tight space).  Be very careful not to damage that precious ash can bracket in the process.  (In fact, I'd do all of the disassembly first, before buying any parts, b/c if that bracket is no longer usable, you can get the newer style ash sweep, and you'll also prolly want to buy a modern ash can assembly to retrofit.)

Idahawk got his bike shop to install the star nuts, but my shop is not so helpful so I've been buying them at the bike shop and installing them myself.  I'm headed out in a minute to make a repair this morning, in fact.  I'll try to take some photos. 

Good idea on disassembling before ordering parts! The ash can bracket looks like its salvageable, looks a little rusted and bent a little but workable. Gonna look into the bicycle star nut for the fix on the lower cross bar.

You can by the caster at Home Depot. A pair was liike $5.
Is the ash bucket cross bar any good. Its that part that holds the bucket on. If its rusted out, I woould update the whole ash assembly to the newer style.
The burner doesn't look too bad in the pics, but the age of the tank is what could cost the most.
New tanks are around $60.  I see its an "EI" or from 1997. Thats 16 years,  If the tank is that old, its expired and needs updated or recertified.
Lots of help and tips on thsi site. It will be a labor of love.  8)

I searched on the Home Depot site and saw a few candidates for replacement casters. The burner is not that big of a deal for me as I mainly use a chimney to start the charcoal but I guess I'm gonna put that fix on "the back burner". Tank wise I guess I'm gonna have to take it to get checked out and see where I get with that.

AngelB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 07:52:55 AM »
The thread is "93 performer frame restoration "

Thanks!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 07:55:28 AM »
Talk to your local propane company about upgrading your tank , some will some won't .
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:21 AM »
Congrats on the Red SS! Looks just like mine that I was rehabbing this weekend. I took a bunch of pics of total disassembly, cutting the ashcatcher, and cleaning, so pm me if you need some guidance.

You shouldn't need a new burner as long as the tube is not rusted out. You can test the igniter by holding the wires in your hand and pushing the button. It will send a small shock if it works. From there, just use some fine sand paper to expose the metal at the igniter tip and it will work as new. Also make sure that the tube is not clogged with cobwebs.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 09:42:41 AM »
The Performers can be a little intimidating to work on, but they are pretty simple.  Take your time, and have fun making it your own.

I've worked on a few of these SS Performers, and rarely do they need much work on the burners/ignitors.  Like Lawrence said, a good cleaning is usually all you need.  First step is to pull off the wire clip that holds the assembly together.

Here's the clip, and the disassembled device. 

//

Make sure the burner tube is cleaned out, and also work on getting the face of this brass piece nice and clean.  I use a wire brush to gently removed dirt and deposits.  Then take one of the brush tines and clean out the small pinhole in the center.

There's a phillips-head screw attaching the business end of the ignitor to the burner tube... take that off and carefully clean the ignitor too.  The grill I worked on today needed a new one, but the other two I've seen worked just fine without replacement.

Oh, and re: the star nuts.  Though the guys at my local bike shop only ask if I want 'Inch, or inch-and-and-eighth?', they seem to come in three sizes.  I have used the ones that were too large in the past, and they flared the ends of the frame tubes.  Today I used the ones that measure 15/16", and they worked just fine.  I used a hammer to square them up a bit so they don't press out on the flat sides of the frame tubes (there's a lot less effort exerted in pounding them in, too).  Not sure if you can see the subtle squaring in this photo. (The price of the star nuts vary anywhere from 2 to 5 bucks apiece, depending on if the boss is in the shop when I show up.)

Put a bolt into the star nut, then carefully pound it into the frame tube gently and as squarely as possible. 

This is a bonus photo that my daughter took while I was working.  She has a real eye for composition. 

http://
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:50:02 AM by mike.stavlund »
One of the charcoal people.

AngelB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 10:10:04 AM »
Congrats on the Red SS! Looks just like mine that I was rehabbing this weekend. I took a bunch of pics of total disassembly, cutting the ashcatcher, and cleaning, so pm me if you need some guidance.

You shouldn't need a new burner as long as the tube is not rusted out. You can test the igniter by holding the wires in your hand and pushing the button. It will send a small shock if it works. From there, just use some fine sand paper to expose the metal at the igniter tip and it will work as new. Also make sure that the tube is not clogged with cobwebs.

Cool thx! I just looked over your post.

AngelB

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »
Thanks Mike for that excellent walk through pictorial! ;)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
Excellent post, Mike! Nice boots too.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791