Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WiFi Smartphone Thermometer?  (Read 1220 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
WiFi Smartphone Thermometer?
« on: January 11, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »
Does anyone know if there's a good (affordable) multi-probe thermometer out there that uses wifi to send temps to a smartphone instead of Bluetooth? I have a Maverick (ET733, I think), that's starting to fail after a couple years.  Looking to get something new that beams to my iPhone instead of a separate unit, and keeping it around $100 would be ideal.

I love just about everything I'm seeing about the iGrill2, but it looks like it only uses Bluetooth, not wifi.  I'd like to be able to head out on errands when I'm doing longer smokes without worrying about coals dying out or meat temps rising too quickly.  All I really need it to do is tell me temps.  (Two probes is a must; four would be nice) I don't need all the extra features that something like the Thermoworks Smoke appears to provide, as I'd prefer simple setup over a wealth of information. @MikeRocksTheRed seems to be a bit of a "gadget guy," and I'm sure there're others out there.  Just figured I'd see if anyone has a favorite that meets these criteria.  Thanks guys.
-Jed

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Re: WiFi Smartphone Thermometer?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:34:24 PM »
The Thermoworks Smoke, does exactly what you are asking. Hold out for the frequent sales and save a few bucks. For me, the WiFi has been extremely reliable. So far, I haven’t used the app for much more than keeping an eye on temps, while out doing errands. Simple for sure.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:49:24 PM »
Thanks @jason. I had read in a separate thread from a couple years ago that the Thermoworks Smoke was $100 and you had to buy the WiFi piece for another $80. Is that still the case, or is WiFi built in now?

-Jed
26.75", 22.5” Weber Kettle/UDS/Firepit, 22.5” custom traveler, Jumbo Joe, Go-Anywhere Charcoal, Q3200
-Jed

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »
Full price, I believe they are $100 each. If you’re patient, and wait for them to go on sale, I’ve seen them for $80 each. I’m talking about the “smoke” and the WiFi “gateway”. I wasn’t patient and paid full price for both and don’t have any regrets.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 07:07:30 PM »
Awesome. Thanks Jason. I’ll watch for a sale. Let me know if you happen to notice one.

-Jed
26.75", 22.5” Weber Kettle/UDS/Firepit, 22.5” custom traveler, Jumbo Joe, Go-Anywhere Charcoal, Q3200
-Jed

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 09:49:21 PM »
I’ve got a few extra mavericks if you need one Jed. Maybe we can work that into our deal we already have under way.  Would hold you over until you can get a smoke and the gateway.  I’d be happy to demo the smoke and gateway the next time we meet up.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:05:21 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed- "a few extra Mavericks"?!! Damn son, how long until I see you've opened up your own BBQ joint? (One that serves fancy cheeses as well, of course.) :)

Thanks for the offer.  We'll see how well my Maverick holds up until the TW Smoke goes on sale.  The probes still work fine, it's just the digital display for one of the temps that goes in & out on the receiver unit. I might need to call up TW customer service to see if they can help as well.  I bought it on Amazon almost 3 years ago; not sure how long the warranty lasts on those.

I'll definitely take you up on the TW Smoke demo though.  That thing looks like a nuclear command center in the pics I've seen.
-Jed

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 06:29:15 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed- "a few extra Mavericks"?!! Damn son, how long until I see you've opened up your own BBQ joint? (One that serves fancy cheeses as well, of course.) :)

Thanks for the offer.  We'll see how well my Maverick holds up until the TW Smoke goes on sale.  The probes still work fine, it's just the digital display for one of the temps that goes in & out on the receiver unit. I might need to call up TW customer service to see if they can help as well.  I bought it on Amazon almost 3 years ago; not sure how long the warranty lasts on those.

I'll definitely take you up on the TW Smoke demo though.  That thing looks like a nuclear command center in the pics I've seen.

LMAO!  Before I got my smoke I would alway have an extra Maverick or two in a closet that I had bought as backups when there would be a lightning deal on amazon.  If CS can't do anything about your display and it gets to hard to read just grab one of my extras.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »
I was looking at the Thermoworks Smoke a week or so back with the WiFi bridge but decided to pass for now.  With the WiFi bridge, you do not need to use the handheld monitor and can just use the bridge directly with your smartphone and the Smoke. The issue for me is that i would like to buy the Smoke plus the WiFi bridge in lieu of the handheld monitor. Thermoworks does not sell it that way and makes you buy the remote monitor regardless if you will use it or not.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI