Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just out of curiosity, are Weber's...  (Read 3772 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
Just out of curiosity, are Weber's...
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:26:16 PM »
A good FINANCIAL investment?  As in, some people buy gold, some people invest in stamps, baseball cards, etc...  Do you think finding and buying old webers are a good financial investment?  If you buy a '79 red weber today for $45, will it's value increase as time goes by...?

For the record, it doesn't matter to me at all. I get the fact that finding and buying old webers has an intangible value not measurable by money.
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Just out of curiosity, are Weber's...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 05:31:55 PM »
Personally I just think an old Weber is something cool to have...there many things you can collect that will earn you more money.  Part of the  reason I like these is because they are a pretty cheap hobby.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 05:40:16 PM »
For me, they've been a great investment.  Because wifey would rather have me grill than go out (most of the time)  Win win!
Monetarily wise, meh...  I wonder how many loaded up during the Beanie Baby craze and are now "waiting for their day"
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »
I can't imagine that any have appreciated enough in value enough to cover inflation. There is the odd chance you could get a very valuable specimen for an unrealistic price due to lack of knowledge on the part of the seller, but other than that I see no way to make money buying these.

However in terms of satisfaction, my modest collection becomes more valuable every time I cook.
kettles, smokers...

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »
I agree completely that the amount of satisfaction of cooking and grilling on an old weber increases with time.

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
Personally I just think an old Weber is something cool to have...there many things you can collect that will earn you more money.  Part of the  reason I like these is because they are a pretty cheap hobby.....

Agreed. I will never have a classic car, but will own a classic Weber. Far less expensive. And they shine the same... ;)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Whats cooler than having a sweet vintage Weber?

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 06:36:32 PM »
Having a sweet million dollars?

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 06:38:46 PM »
Nah.....It's way easier to find the grill

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Re: Just out of curiosity, are Weber's...
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 07:17:48 PM »
Nah.....It's way easier to find the grill

Agreed!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »
Weberitis is my cheapest and tastiest hobby so I'm happy. I think you can make a few bucks here and there by buying low and selling high but I don't think a grills market value will appreciate an incredible amount over time.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »
What I love about the hobby is enjoying the fruits of your labor and sharing it with like minded people here at the wkc. I can fire up the kettle, play catch, soccer u name it with my kids, and produce food most people dream about. I used to fish a lot before I had kids and this hobby is much more conducive to spending time with those I love. Plus it's relatively cheap. I get way more out of it than it asks of me. If that makes sense.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Well said. The cost of the grill, charcoal and meat are nothing for what you get back in return- bringing people together, having a good time and making memories while stuffing your face.

What I love about the hobby is enjoying the fruits of your labor and sharing it with like minded people here at the wkc. I can fire up the kettle, play catch, soccer u name it with my kids, and produce food most people dream about. I used to fish a lot before I had kids and this hobby is much more conducive to spending time with those I love. Plus it's relatively cheap. I get way more out of it than it asks of me. If that makes sense.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 07:15:48 AM »
If you get lucky and get a few old grills for a low price and then sell them high you can at least pay for your Weberitis. A hobby that pays for itself and provides hours or delicious satisfaction is a beautiful thing!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 07:36:22 AM »
If you get lucky and get a few old grills for a low price and then sell them high you can at least pay for your Weberitis. A hobby that pays for itself and provides hours or delicious satisfaction is a beautiful thing!

You hit it on the head! If I can "Trade Up'  while enjoying myself, I consider that a Win!   8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..