Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Let's talk Rubs  (Read 3159 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Let's talk Rubs
« on: January 09, 2018, 08:20:32 AM »
OK so as I am watching the videos from "All things BBQ" and watching his use of small batch rubs, which look amazing I am starting to wonder if I should change my method of rubs.

My MO has traditionally been to buy what I can find on sale, but when we are talking McCormicks rubs who knows the age of the batch.

I have considered doing my own rubs but honestly, I think the spices would go stale by the time I use them up. 

So now I am thinking small batch rubs might be the way to go.  What do you do?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Let's talk Rubs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:36:12 AM »
I make my own and buy commercial examples.

Honestly though, for most people, commercial rubs are a better deal. They are usually fresh and fine-tuned if you buy them from a BBQ site.

You can run into “freshness” issues buying individual ingredients as well when trying to build your own.

Buying commercial rubs in bulk quantities can even be a better deal if you cook large quantities, do competitions, or cater.

I have really changed my tune on buying commercial rubs. Try some small bottles or samples of a few and see what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 08:43:18 AM »
I make a couple batches a year of the Memphis Meathead Dust. Goes great on pork and chicken.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Let's talk Rubs
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »
I’ve always used Tony’s mixed with brown sugar for pork and chicken and make one time batches. I’ve used several rubs and all are good but I’ve gone back to my original way.

I’ve combined all my commercial rubs into one shaker and use it once in awhile.

I will lay down a base coat of equal parts kosher salt and medium grind pepper on my pork and I think that has made the biggest difference in end product.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:02:52 AM by HoosierKettle »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »
I use Mad Hunky rubs and brines exclusively... Check them out!

http://madhunkymeats.com/
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 10:28:13 AM »

I think they are Michigan made, bonus for me
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:36:39 AM »

Hawg Heaven
08/31/2012

Okay, here’s where I’m at… this stuff ROCKS!!! I compete in BBQ competitions, and have been in the middle of the pack with the results. Since I’ve started using this rub on my ribs, I have been in the top 10… A win is coming up Rich, I know it! Not only is this an excellent rub for pork and ribs, but an excellent rub on chicken and beef. It is an overall great base to start with, if you wish to add your own twist to it… don’t be afraid, it will take it! Try it folks… believe me, it truly ROCKS!!!

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »
I like to keep my rubs simple. Salt. Pepper. Olive oil. Mayyyybe some brown sugar and granulated garlic. Doesn’t go stale because I use all of those ingredients continually. Plus, I feel as if many spices nuanced flavors are lost in the smoke.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 02:35:34 PM »
I have settled on making my own.  I have two I use primarily.   The first is 1/2 black pepper, 1/4 kosher salt, and 1/4 seasoned salt.   I use this for briskets.  The second is a homemade version of harry soo’s slap yo daddy rub tweaked to my liking.   I use this on pork and chicken. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 02:39:01 PM »
I have settled on making my own.  I have two I use primarily.   The first is 1/2 black pepper, 1/4 kosher salt, and 1/4 seasoned salt.   I use this for briskets.  The second is a homemade version of harry soo’s slap yo daddy rub tweaked to my liking.   I use this on pork and chicken. 

[/quote
Here’s the slap yo daddy rub.  It’s pretty simple.  I omit the cumin.  You can dial up the sweetness if sensitive palletes don’t like the heat. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »
I like Amazing ribs Memphis dust for anything pork.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 06:05:55 PM »

Mad Hunky products kick ass...Seriously...I've never had one of Rich's products that didn't exceed my expectations...

And sometimes I make my own... 8)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 08:10:52 PM »
The ones that have really have impressed me are the Simply Marvelous and BPS rubs. Just flat out great!

Soo’s Jailbird Chicken is another favorite, along with some of the Oakridge offerings.

Weber seasonings are also quite good too! One of their rib rubs I didn’t quite care for (tasted like the seasoning on bbq potato chips), but most others are legit!

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 07:09:03 AM »
I make my own Rub which I got a recipe from a book called Peace, Love and Barbecue by Mike Mills.  I added my own twist to the rub and made it my own.  It is good on everything pork, poultry, fish and beef.  It is good stuff.
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 07:18:38 AM »
Smokevide turned me onto hogs n heat. Their rub is great but they make my favorite all purpose seasoning.