Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beef BBQ Po Boy  (Read 1937 times)

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
Beef BBQ Po Boy
« on: January 05, 2018, 04:55:01 AM »
I want to try doing the BBQ Pit boys Po Boy this weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxcqsPA_nCM

What I was wondering is what type of pot I should use. I have some nice Emeril ones that I could use but I'm worried about ruining them. They have a copper titanium bottom I believe. I was thinking about going to a thrift store and buying a pot I could use a few times and throw away if need be. I know teflon is not the best. What should I look for? Would something like this be fine? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-12-Qt-Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot-with-Metal-Lid/37320202#customer-reviews
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:03:41 AM by BBQFiend »
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Beef BBQ Po Boy
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 05:10:56 AM »
Looks like a grate idea. Do you own a cast iron dutch oven that is what I would use @BBQ Fiend
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Bigmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 05:13:08 AM »
I don’t know about the pot but I sure am hungry now!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 07:45:06 AM »
Looks like a grate idea. Do you own a cast iron dutch oven that is what I would use @BBQ Fiend

+1  I would use a dutch oven.  Another great alternative is Graniteware.  It's inexpensive, light weight, and has a porcelain enamel coating inside and out.  I use both frequently.  I'd probably use the dutch oven in this case but either would work.

I would not use any cookware that you are worried about being pretty on the grill.  Cast iron is nice because it is already black.  My graniteware is black also with white specks but it cleans up nicely with the porcelain finish.

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 07:51:56 AM »
So you think a stainless steel pot won't be that good?
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 08:05:48 AM »
I honestly don’t know. I’ve never used any stainless or aluminum stock pots to know. Inside or out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MattF

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 08:30:09 AM »
Cast iron dutch oven! Get one, it will change your life.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 05:02:38 AM »
If ya cant get the cast iron DO then maybe just use a disposable aluminum pan...Just a thought...

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »
I did this Sat along with the KFC wings on Sunday. Lessons learned.

Just use a stainless steel pot from walmart. I bought a big campfire dutch oven which was under $20 and it did the job but I felt the whole thing would have been easier using a pot with high sides.

This meal it a lot of work vs reward. The sandwiches are great but you could probably get the same result searing the meat on the grill then using a crock pot. It would be done quicker and the whole process would be a lot easier. Then again we don't grill to do it the easy way. hehe

The KFC chicken turned out pretty good with the Slow N Sear. I messed up though and didn't use egg yolk in the batter. I just used some flour and seasoning. I didn't have any beer or sparkling water so I used Sprite. I think it made the mixture ok.

I did two mixtures. One with flower and SPG seasoning another with just Mama Autry Chicken Seasoning.

I only did the dipping twice like the video recommended. Did the batter first then the flour. The Chicken got a little over floury but still tasted great. I used too much SPG seasoning so the chicken was overly salty but what calmed the salt flavor down and ended up making the chicken fantastic was honey butter which was recommended in the video. Melted half a stick of butter with about a tablespoon of honey and brushed that on the chicken.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 11:40:56 AM »
Doing this cook right now.
Seared the chuckeye on the grate, then spread all the coals to the outside and put my Dutch oven on the charcoal grate.
Smells great.👍
It calls for cajun rub so I mixed up the recipe in the Meathead book.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 12:51:14 PM »
Doing this cook right now.
Seared the chuckeye on the grate, then spread all the coals to the outside and put my Dutch oven on the charcoal grate.
Smells great.👍
It calls for cajun rub so I mixed up the recipe in the Meathead book.

Interested to see how it turns out. For the seasoning I used Tony's and garlic powder.
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 03:49:26 PM »
The recipe in the video calls for 2 teaspoons of cajun spice, I used about a tablespoon of the cajun rub listed in the Meathead book. After about 4 hrs the coals around my dutch oven were almost completely gone and it was dark outside so I decided to toast the sandwiches in my oven instead of on the kettle. I put the mayonnaise on the bread followed by the meat, then I put them in the oven and toast of them until the French bread had a nice crust to it.  Then after removing from the oven then I put the lettuce and tomato on. I figured the lettuce would get soggy enough after hitting the hot sandwich I didn't need to bake it any. My kids enjoyed them,  the oldest said she prefer it without the lettuce next time. I could have it with or without the lettuce, I thought they were tasty.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:51:16 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere