Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Plywood clips - Cheapest & easiest Mod I ever made  (Read 4935 times)

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
Plywood clips - Cheapest & easiest Mod I ever made
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:40:22 AM »
A bag of 25 clips is about $4 from Lowes. With a pair pliers, they can be easily bent to be used for multiple purposes. Below, just few ideas, I have few more that I will post later.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 05:17:25 AM by BertVentures »
Bert

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Plywood clips - Cheapest & easiest Mod I ever made
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 06:09:58 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the tip on these... could come in handy one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:07:10 AM »
I just realized these clips have galvanizing finish for improved corrosion resistance. Galvanized metals give off zinc oxide when heated, which is harmful if inhaled. To be safe, before using these clips on the grill, soak them overnight in white vinegar to remove the galvanized finish, than season them with vegetable oil to protect them from rusting.
Bert

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:17:44 PM »
OK, I have to comment, lol. When I first saw this topic pop up on my phone, I think was either groggy or tired but read it as "plywood CHIPS"  I thought, WTH, this guy is nuts.. when I opened the topic and was about to give him a stern "whats for", it got clearer, oh oops, CLIPS.... nevermind.  LOL
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »
BTW, thats genius @BertVentures !!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:16:53 AM »
@varekai That's funny, thank you and thanks for sharing.

It took me longer to remove galvanized coating, I am planning to season them tonight.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bert

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »
I just realized these clips have galvanizing finish for improved corrosion resistance. Galvanized metals give off zinc oxide when heated, which is harmful if inhaled. To be safe, before using these clips on the grill, soak them overnight in white vinegar to remove the galvanized finish, than season them with vegetable oil to protect them from rusting.
OK, you really need to stop with this bullshit!! Zinc will not start to off gas until it hits around 1665 degrees Fahrenheit. It will start melting at 787 Fahrenheit.  Is your grill getting that hot????

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 12:28:39 AM »
OK, you really need to stop with this bullshit!!

Is this really necessary ....

Zinc will not start to off gas until it hits around 1665 degrees Fahrenheit.

It is an area of concerns by many on mutiple online forums, I am not expert,  it is easier to remove it than to research it or debate it.

It will start melting at 787 Fahrenheit.  Is your grill getting that hot????

Yes and even higher, and so everyone else who used wood to make pizza on their grill
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:46:19 AM by BertVentures »
Bert

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 08:22:40 AM »
I'm lucky, I have a plating shop that's right around the corner from work.  He'll strip anything I bring him for free.  I have been know to drop off a slab of bacon and a fatty or two for motivational purposes though.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »
OK, you really need to stop with this bullshit!!

Is this really necessary ....

Zinc will not start to off gas until it hits around 1665 degrees Fahrenheit.

It is an area of concerns by many on mutiple online forums, I am not expert,  it is easier to remove it than to research it or debate it.

It will start melting at 787 Fahrenheit.  Is your grill getting that hot????

Yes and even higher, and so everyone else who used wood to make pizza on their grill
First off, My apologies, I did not mean to direct this at you.  I've been through this discussion before on several forums in the past, and in each case I've been attacked just because someone read something on the internet.

I understand that there are certain concerns regarding zinc plating, and I do appreciate those concerns. What I have found is that many people tend to over react to these concerns based on pseudoscience. I try to put forward facts based on research and experience. I  truly believe that many people over react to the perceived issues of galvanized steel in barbecue applications.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 11:07:17 AM »
WELL DONE both of you, @BertVentures for not taking it personal and @Darko for your recent apology, this could have really turned into a shit storm. Darko, most of us understand where you're coming from, it's your area of work, but yes, others tend to err on the side of caution none-the-less. Not everyone will see darkos "strong" comments on the subject and yes darko, you WILL need to repeat it to the next new member that builds something out of galvy and gets run over buy the "OMG i cant believe you used galvanized your going to die now" group of people, But thats whats great here, we say our piece and move on. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EVERYBODY!!!  and keep the ideas coming even if they will kill us, together we can figure it out.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 11:57:26 AM »
We're all good. We're here to learn from each other.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 02:01:26 PM »
Whoa! Exciting thread to read through!  LOL. 

Using these clips to make a pizza oven - WOW. 
Realizing they are galvanized then figuring out how to take care of that - WOW. 
Potential drama - OH SHIT!   
Drama ends with a happy ending - WOW!  I'm impressed all around guys!!!!

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 03:40:14 PM »
@Darko no problem, I didn't take it personally, I understand..Were all good.

Bert

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 11:06:20 PM »
I'm going to vaccinate my kids with 1665 degree galvanized needles! But it's ok! They don't mix carrots and oranges!