Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sous Vide Steak  (Read 3193 times)

chapel321

• Smokey Joe
Re: Sous Vide Steak
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 06:02:45 AM »
I got an anova sous vide for Christmas and love it!!!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 10:33:35 AM »
Steaks  souviding

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 11:14:49 AM »
Thanks for the nudge @Bubblehead, how about a vacuum sealer recommendation.  Anybody have an idea of which sealer works the best vs which to stay away from?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Whichever sealer you decide on, don't mess with making your own bags with the rolls unless you need the length.

I have been ordering these from Amazon for a couple years now.  Easy mode!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BL8KZ6O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Sous Vide Steak
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
Thanks for the nudge @bubblehead, how about a vacuum sealer recommendation.  Anybody have an idea of which sealer works the best vs which to stay away from?

If you want a good vacuum sealer, get a Weston. My brother have one and it works great.  I find myself  always stopping by his house just to use it even though i have a cheap food saver.  Can't quite pull the trigger on a Weston being it cost $400 but I'll get it once the food saver finally gives up.

Weston Pro-2300 Commercial Grade Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer (65-0201), Double Piston Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GP81R2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_tR9uAbPC376RN

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 02:00:50 PM »
Wow great info! The Weston seems to be s bit larger than the pro 350 but at $200.00 more I don't think I'm quite ready for that price tag.
I did however order that Anova wireless Bluetooth sous vide.
(ANOVALOVE-aKvtR0l7a0632)
discount code for $20 off thru 1-11-2018 if someone wants to give it a go.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 08:44:25 AM »
Thanks for the nudge @Bubblehead, how about a vacuum sealer recommendation.  Anybody have an idea of which sealer works the best vs which to stay away from?

I have a Vac Master Pro 350 and LOVE IT!!

As do we!!!  This thing is a work horse!!!  Commercial quality and doesn't care what style bags.  We bought bulk rolls in several sizes and works out fine!!  I tend to buy pork butts in bulk from Sams and Costco.  I prep them and vac em shut and put in the freezer.

Love mine!!

YMMV...

Yup, I have had no issues with mine... great unit, solid to the bone! I have found with "past" Foodsavers, that they'll work fine for 4 or 5 runs in a row, then you have to let them sit and cool down. Nope. I'm more of a production oriented kinda guy... need this thing when I need it!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 06:13:16 PM »

Turned out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’m very curious. My wife and daughters used to ask for sirloins because they don’t like fat. But they’re often tough which pushes me towards filet mignon. I certainly prefer the price tag of sirloins if they could be more tender. Does sous vide make the steaks more tender?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 01:55:13 AM »

Turned out great!

So I’m very curious. My wife and daughters used to ask for sirloins because they don’t like fat. But they’re often tough which pushes me towards filet mignon. I certainly prefer the price tag of sirloins if they could be more tender. Does sous vide make the steaks more tender?

Have you considered getting a NY strip and cutting off the fat cap? That’s what I usually do and those who do not like much fat really enjoy it.
To answer your question, sous vide will help with tenderness. I would go about 3-4 hours with a sirloin.

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 11:43:58 AM »

Turned out great!

Have you considered getting a NY strip and cutting off the fat cap? That’s what I usually do and those who do not like much fat really enjoy it.
To answer your question, sous vide will help with tenderness. I would go about 3-4 hours with a sirloin.

I havent considered that, but will definitely give it a shot!

Does anyone know if fat renders away during the cooking process like it does during a long smoke? (Pork shoulder for example)

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 12:04:14 PM »
I'm not sure with beef fat. I think some may, but there is a difference with beef rather than pork.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 12:47:16 PM »
@mcgolden - To some extent yes.  Not sure it will make the tough piece of fat typical on sirloin edible, but it definitely tenderizes the usually edible but tough fat throughout the steak.  I used to have to get filet for my ex, and once I started using my sous vide she drooled over NY strips and ate a lot of fat she used to eat around.

Did a ribeye last night for about 2 hours at 129 the seared it.  It was actually trickey to get out of the bag, seasoned and onto the grill because it was fall apart tender!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 12:55:31 PM »
Great.  Thanks to everyone who responded. Looks like I’ll have to try NY strips.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 01:01:05 PM »
Great.  Thanks to everyone who responded. Looks like I’ll have to try NY strips.

And sorry, I meant it tenderizes the fat to some extent.  It definitely tenderizes the actual meat.  I like to do most steaks for 2 hours.  1.5 is fine, and so is 2.5, but I think  at 3 hours the texture changes enough to make it at little weird when eating.  It's really all about trying a few lengths to figure out what you like.  I usually make sure to get the steaks in the bath in time for them to go 1.5 hours at least, and then it gives me another hour and a half before I HAVE to take them out for the sear to not hit that 3 hour mark.  I haven't tried sirloin yet, it might even be that 3 hours is the magic number for it.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 01:45:32 PM »
Does anyone know if fat renders away during the cooking process like it does during a long smoke? (Pork shoulder for example)

I did a 9+lb shoulder a while back. Three hours of smoke and thirteen hours in the Sous Vide bath at 165. Rendered a ton of fat. Pulled the pork after resting a bit and it was like it came of the smoker alone. One issue was the Anova unit shut down after thirteen hours - too much steam over too long a time. Once it dried out it's as good as new. I think I have that solved now with a new set-up; dedicated container with a tight fitting lid and exact hole for the unit.
Retired