Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grillfella needs help  (Read 4199 times)

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Grillfella needs help
« on: December 31, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »
With the weather being perfect for smoked cheese I decided to do some got Swiss, pepper jack, cheddar, charcoal, wood (apple, hickory, maple, cherry, and sweet combo wood). Grill is all clean and ready to go.

Then I remembered  :o I never did smoked cheese ::). Can someone give me an idea on how long and temp I should attempted to keep the grill at.

Any and all help would be  appreciated.

Thanks Shoestringshop
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Black Dog

• Smokey Joe
Grillfella needs help
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:08:28 AM »
Sounds like a good time!
I have never smoked the cheeses you mentioned, but I have smoked feta, and a whole lot of it...  It makes a great garnish for soup!
Anyway, you want to keep your grill as low as you can and still keep your wood smokin’.  Your not trying to cook the cheese, just add smoke flavor.  Be careful with the softer cheeses.  I usually smoked feta for about an hour.  Harder cheeses and bigger pieces take longer.  Softer cheeses and smaller pieces usually take less.  YMMV.
It is real easy to tell when you have enough smoke with a little taster...

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:12:00 AM by Black Dog »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Grillfella needs help
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »
You want the temps to be as low as you can. A lot of guys I know use the A-Maze-N-Smoke Tube...

http://www.amazenproducts.com/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:53:29 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 11:30:59 AM »
What kind of wood?  Pellets, dust, chunks, chips?

What type of grill? Kettle?

Do you have an Amazen smoker tube or maze?

Hard cheeses like you have I smoke for any where from 4-24 hrs depending on the age. Softer cheeses I usually do about 4 hrs.

Heavydlite

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:52:22 AM »
Don't let the temp go above 80°F, as the cheese will start to melt or sweat, which can cause it to have a nasty taste.
I use apple - my wife looks likes the mild taste.  Also use hickory for a stronger flavour.
I have found 'aging' the cheese once it is smoked helps the flavour. I just put the cheese in a zip lock bag for at least a week, 2 weeks is better.
Cutting the cheese into smaller blocks that can be used up easily, as I have found the cheese will start to loose its smoke flavour once it's cut and sits for awhile.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
Sounds like a good time!
I have never smoked the cheeses you mentioned, but I have smoked feta, and a whole lot of it...  It makes a great garnish for soup!
Anyway, you want to keep your grill as low as you can and still keep your wood smokin’.  Your not trying to cook the cheese, just add smoke flavor.  Be careful with the softer cheeses.  I usually smoked feta for about an hour.  Harder cheeses and bigger pieces take longer.  Softer cheeses and smaller pieces usually take less.  YMMV.
It is real easy to tell when you have enough smoke with a little taster...

I like feta but never thought of smoking it. If... if I get thru smoking the cheese I have I’ll try that.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 12:17:33 PM »
You want the temps to be as low as you can. A lot of guys I know use the A-Maze-N-Smoke Tube...

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

I going to try without the tube thing the first time. If I get close i’ll Look into it.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 12:19:35 PM »
What kind of wood?  Pellets, dust, chunks, chips?

What type of grill? Kettle?

Do you have an Amazen smoker tube or maze?

Hard cheeses like you have I smoke for any where from 4-24 hrs depending on the age. Softer cheeses I usually do about 4 hrs.

I have a kettle 3 wheel I was going to try it on. I have lump and chips.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 12:20:54 PM »
Don't let the temp go above 80°F, as the cheese will start to melt or sweat, which can cause it to have a nasty taste.
I use apple - my wife looks likes the mild taste.  Also use hickory for a stronger flavour.
I have found 'aging' the cheese once it is smoked helps the flavour. I just put the cheese in a zip lock bag for at least a week, 2 weeks is better.
Cutting the cheese into smaller blocks that can be used up easily, as I have found the cheese will start to loose its smoke flavour once it's cut and sits for awhile.

Temp I was concerned about the temp. If I can get that right I think I can pull it off. Thanks

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed , he seems to really know his cheese smoking...he's even added ice to the kettle to keep temps low, maybe he'll chime in,
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Grillfella needs help
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 01:42:53 PM »
I’m following this with enthusiasm. I’ve waited all summer to try a cheese smoke. I’ve never done one but may try tomorrow. It will certainly help having extremely cold weather. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 01:46:18 PM »
mike made it sound fun, I even went as far as buying an amazin maze "cold smoker" thingy and I'm not crazy about cheese...  but I want to try making my own smoked salts.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »
Have to keep the grill under 90 or the cheese will melt.  I use the amazen tube and that’s it.  I like to smoke cheese for 4-6 hours.  I flip it halfway through.   2 hours = subtle smoke.  4 hours = medium. Smoke.  6 hours is fairly heavy.   My favorite cheese to smoke pepper jack.  When you eat it you get the smoke first then as it subsided the peppers kick in.  Don’t put any cheese directly over the tube.  And use cookie racks or something similar so your cheese stays clean.  I don’t care how clean you think your cooking grate is, the cheese will get black marks if you do it directly in the grate.  I recently got some smoking mats from Owens BBQ that have been working great. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 02:19:28 PM »
Use a mild wood. I once did some with hickory, because that's all I had at the time, and it turned out pretty bitter. Don't overdo it.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »
I am interested in this also thanks
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer