Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grillfella needs help  (Read 4234 times)

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Grillfella needs help
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 03:54:16 PM »
If all you have is lump and chips, your biggest problem is going to be keeping the wood smoldering long enough to give a consistent smoke for a longer period of time.

What may work for you right now, given the equipment you have, is this, get a minimum amount of lump going(1 or 2 pieces), then set a bunch of the chips laid out like a snake, on a tray with the burning lump on one end. Stick this on the charcoal grate, or perhaps get rid of the grate and stick it at the bottom of the bowl. Then once the snake is going put the cheese on a rack on top of the cooking grate and let it smoke. Keep the lid vent wide open, but close 2 of the three bowl vents, and use one to provide just enough air to keep the wood going.

I hope this makes sense. In my head I know exactly what I'm talking about, but I'm not sure if I'm conveying it properly.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 11:28:02 AM »
Okay working on the cheese. I have a custom smoke box filled with mesquite wood and a chunk to start. Started 4 Weber briquettes and spaced what I think is good. I have a almost new grate. The grill I was going to use is shot as far as using it today. Using the custom dual otp. Put some old charcoal around the ice.

I want to thank all fo the help you sent! Got 4 hours left.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 11:51:30 AM »
If all you have is lump and chips, your biggest problem is going to be keeping the wood smoldering long enough to give a consistent smoke for a longer period of time.

What may work for you right now, given the equipment you have, is this, get a minimum amount of lump going(1 or 2 pieces), then set a bunch of the chips laid out like a snake, on a tray with the burning lump on one end. Stick this on the charcoal grate, or perhaps get rid of the grate and stick it at the bottom of the bowl. Then once the snake is going put the cheese on a rack on top of the cooking grate and let it smoke. Keep the lid vent wide open, but close 2 of the three bowl vents, and use one to provide just enough air to keep the wood going.

I hope this makes sense. In my head I know exactly what I'm talking about, but I'm not sure if I'm conveying it properly.

It works I’m useing a bit from all. What do you think of the setup?

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
Keep us posted.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 12:10:14 PM »

To me, it looks like it might get too hot, just because of the amount of charcoal. But you may be fine as long as you can keep the temp inside below around 70 degrees.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 12:38:36 PM »

To me, it looks like it might get too hot, just because of the amount of charcoal. But you may be fine as long as you can keep the temp inside below around 70 degrees.

Got it to 80 degrees and tossed some snow on the coal. 😂

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 12:54:27 PM »
And on lid

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 01:03:54 PM »
Just keep an eye on the cheese.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 01:05:21 PM »
Keep going outside to check on it... this better be damn good cheese!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 03:12:44 PM »
@Black Dog , @hawgheaven , @Drako , @Heavydlite , @varekai , @HoosierKettle , @MikeRocksTheRed , @SmokeVide , @jd

Wow oh wow, I know it’s strong when you first take it off because I have read what people say. The taste is spot on. It did melt a little. I tossed some into some cheese and cauliflower soup My wife was making added som smoke and the wife sad it had a bacon flavor.

I’m sold! Now only 20 more to do this season.

Thanks all for the help and encouragement to pull this off. I tell everyone about this club and they just can’t believe that this is real. We help each other, give gifts, talk, and yet most of us have not met face to face.

Cheese opps I meant cheers to 2018

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 03:15:54 PM »
I bet that cheese is killer!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 03:26:42 PM »
Sounds great I will have to try that sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 03:41:26 PM »
Soon you'll have a dedicated cheese fridge

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 03:47:28 PM »
Forgot to post picture

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 03:47:33 PM »
I have used 1-2 lit briquettes and a couple more unlit arranged in a short “snake” with a chunk of wood on top. Doesn’t generate enough heat to melt the cheese but produces plenty of smoke. I just leave the cheese in the kettle until all the fuel is gone.