Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not a Weber but Weber parts  (Read 1958 times)

Tionoel

• Smokey Joe
Not a Weber but Weber parts
« on: December 28, 2017, 08:23:48 AM »
* if this is not allowed..please feel free to delete

I have been saving this Genesis stand as a spare for a while. I decided to use it for a rotisserie stand. I simply bought some zinc and screwed it. I already had 36" rotisserie spit and motor that I had purchase in a garage sale for $10. I then added some hurracaine reinforcement plaques and voila! First thing I cooked was a 41 lbs pig in thanksgiving, and yesterday I did some chicken! Works like a charm and the entire thing is very light...under 12lbs. I think I will put back the wheels and that would make it even more movable.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Not a Weber but Weber parts
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:57:11 AM »
Edited: removed comments and concerns over zinc.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:44:31 AM by vwengguy »

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Not a Weber but Weber parts
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
Nice looking pig and chickens.

Now, some may disagree with me, but I think you will be ok with the galvanized. It's not ideal, but I don't think you will be getting temperatures high enough to start melting the zinc coating off of the steel. I work in a steel company where we make galvanized steel and we are around a giant vessel of molten zinc. The temperature is high enough that the zinc is molten but not high enough for the zinc to start gassing. For that you would need temperatures of 1665F. Even for the zinc to start to melt temp would have to be 787F.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 03:18:58 PM »

Nice looking pig and chickens.

Now, some may disagree with me, but I think you will be ok with the galvanized. It's not ideal, but I don't think you will be getting temperatures high enough to start melting the zinc coating off of the steel. I work in a steel company where we make galvanized steel and we are around a giant vessel of molten zinc. The temperature is high enough that the zinc is molten but not high enough for the zinc to start gassing. For that you would need temperatures of 1665F. Even for the zinc to start to melt temp would have to be 787F.

That’s good to know. A buddy of mine makes trash can turkey every year in an actual trash can. It always great and I thought it might be the zinc that tasted so good but must have been his turkey skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 05:20:28 AM »
@Tionoel that's a pretty sweet rig you made there!

@Darko that's some good information.  I work in metal manufacture but we purchase steel on coils or in sheet form so I have little knowledge of the metal chemistry and what temps galvanized/galvaneal becomes dangerous.  I had heard about the zinc possibly being an issue and everyone expects me to have an answer.  I now have one, thank you!