Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Determining the Age --- Even more?  (Read 1637 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
Determining the Age --- Even more?
« on: May 11, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »
I know (from this forum) the letter stamps in the vent originated in '79
From late '70 to '79, they had the Pat number stamp

Is there a way to zero that in?  Does the square metal handle or Arlington Heights offer any clues?  Small vent tab?  When did the one touch start?  Bar-B-Q end?

Just trying to figure out a bit more about my new baby.  Would be cool if it's older than I am  :D

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Determining the Age --- Even more?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »
I have a easier time telling if they're older than me, I just look for the Woodale vent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Determining the Age --- Even more?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:05:11 PM »
Looking at your kettle, the metal bowl handles on the 18.5's were always smaller and more square shaped than the metal handles on the 22.5. They were this way through 1980. Wood bowl handles came out in 1981. The lid vent points to 1971-1975, based on engraving, patent number, and the small rounded tab. The early plastic wheels, that appear to have plastic treads puts it around '73-'75. I have a red 18.5 (see The Easterner) with thumbscrews in the sockets, no patent pending/number and metal wheels with rubber treads and a wood lid handle. It also says Arlington Heights, my 18.5 ranges from 1964-1967-68.
One touch came out in 1983. Daisy wheel kettles remained available in the U.S. new through 1999. I've geeked out on researching the plethora of variations to the kettles through the decades. From turn tab shape and size to wheel styles, to lid shape to vent engraving.

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: Determining the Age --- Even more?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:22:43 AM »
Craig - that was EXTREMELY helpful.  Thanks for that info! 

Looks like I have a '73-'75 and that's the info I was looking for.

I didn't know the daisy wheel was available until 99.  Also didn't know the One Touch came out in 83 (the red 22 I just got is an 84 and has it)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!