Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first rib roast for Christmas Eve  (Read 2175 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
My first rib roast for Christmas Eve
« on: December 26, 2017, 01:13:49 PM »
Sunday we went to the store and they had rib roasts on sale. I forget the weight but it was 4 bones and $35 instead of $74. Sold. Came home and rubbed it with brown sugar, cracked black, kosher salt, and fresh garlic.

I started a full chimney of Stubbs and let it get nearly fully lit then dumped it into the SnS. I added a drip pan and put the roast on, oven thermometer was reading around 420. I let it go for 30 minutes then turned the vents down to around 300. I pulled it at 120 and put it in the oven tented with foil to rest.

Then we got busy with kids, bath time, bed time, clean up and so on. I turned the oven to 350 for 10 minutes then turned it off to make sure it was warm when we sliced it. I checked before slicing and it was 142.

My wife was skeptical about using the grill (I even used a small amount of pecan) but she loved it!

Questions about this cut and method. I have some family that won’t eat it unless it’s medium well or close to well done. Is that such a bad thing with this roast? Anyone ever take their rib roast to 150-160 and let it rest?  I doubt it would be dry at that IT but idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: My first rib roast for Christmas Eve
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 01:22:40 PM »
You could slowly take it to that temp and it would still be edible, but it's a crime to do so in my book.  If it's just a couple of people, cook like you did, slice off their pieces and either pan fry them, or put them in the oven to cook more.  Or, you could simmer the slices in some warm au jus and bring to temp that way.

BTW, nice job on the cook.  Looks tasty

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 02:18:29 PM »
That looks good. With all these roasts I have got to do one soon. Maybe my birthday.....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »
Tell them to either eat it or "Sod off"

Do not overcook a prime rib roast just because a few people want to eat shoe leather.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »
I'm with the part of your family that like it cooked a bit more but thats all personal preference. But I do have to say that looks really good.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:27:35 PM by WMT »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »

Do not overcook a prime rib roast just because a few people want to eat shoe leather.
Gotta agree here. Just cook something else. I don’t cook beef for my mom anymore for just that reason. How bout a nice piece of chicken. [emoji51]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »
Looks great!

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »

Gotta agree here. Just cook something else. I don’t cook beef for my mom anymore for just that reason. How bout a nice piece of chicken. [emoji51]

Not to Hijack this thread but History was made Xmas eve.   My MIL actually ate and enjoyed my Pork Loin on the Pit!!!  Never entertained cooking *Koff* Hot Dogs for her.   Cooked it, sliced it and put it on her plate and she actually ATE IT!!!  AND ... AND... complimented me on it... I almost fell off my chair!!!

Looked amazing!!!  Prime is on my list... among many other proteins and methods!!!

Grill on!!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 12:12:40 PM »
Wow now that is an achievement! My goal is to get my wife to eat a steak without A1.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 03:03:38 PM »
Funny thing.... My brother always had beef well done. About 17 years ago we had christmas dinner at my place and I made a prime rib roast...medium rare. He couldn't believe how good and tender it was. He hasn't had beef done beyond medium rare since then.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 04:05:17 PM »
Rib roast looks great! 4 bone prime rib roast for $35.....what a deal!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 05:56:21 PM »
It was $6.99/lb Greenweb. I went back to Meijer today and they were all gone. Should have got a few more at that price but being my first try I only wanted one. I’ll definitely be doing this again but maybe butter and herbs on the next one.

Question about the cut fellas, are these bones what you all are cooking when doing beef short ribs?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 07:14:59 PM »
No. Beef short rib come from the chuck section. Beef back ribs are the ones from the ribeye.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 07:57:54 PM »
Thanks Travis.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 07:13:35 PM »
Wow now that is an achievement! My goal is to get my wife to eat a steak without A1.

Go to fridge, grab A1 bottle and throw it away.   Next, go to closet/pantry and look for backup bottle of A1, throw it away as well.    Tomorrow, grill a nice steak and out it in front of her for dinner.   When she asks about A1, get up, go to fridge, act like you are looking for it then tell her that you must be out and that you'll add it to the shopping list.   Sit back down at the table and watch her enjoy her steak (hopefully).