Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fell bad for not having more...but  (Read 3108 times)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Fell bad for not having more...but
« on: May 11, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
When I see some of the pictures on this forum of some of the collections of Weber's I keep thinking I need to get about 30 more grills, but I really don't have the money or the space and of course my wife won't understand why I need them when I don't need them. :'( When I got my Weber I started to make it THE Weber. I got the cast iron grates and recently got the rotisserie and cast iron cookware etc. My goal is to make my 1 grill the go to grill for anything I want to cook. I do all of my smoking on it and anything else that can be cooked with heat. I started out with a Char-griller with a firebox but was frustrated by the limits of that type of grill. I can control the heat on my Platinum and had issues doing that with my horizontal smoker. I can smoke stuff better on my Weber and am thrilled by the versatility of the kettle grill. Now if I can get my wife to think that what we really need is a collection of Weber kettles.........
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
Re: Fell bad for not having more...but
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 02:26:50 PM »
You have a great cooker.  I am fairly new on here, but certain grills have caught my eye.

I have a plain ots that is my go to grill.  I understand how you feel...
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
There is nothing wrong with a one touch platinum.  If you bought it new, added cast iron grates, and a Rot,  you probably invested more on your nice new cooker than i spent on all of my old CL  Webers. 

BTW,  you know what they say, the grass is always greener.  I may have over 10 Webers but I don't have one with cast iron grates or a ROT.   >:(  Your cooker sounds like a very nice setup.   

I am lucky to have an area of my backyard that is not really part of the yard and is hidden from our entertaining area.  Otherwise, I would have 1 grill too.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 02:45:38 PM »
I have some kettle envy too, but the wonderful thing to me is that they are all essentially the same, at least in terms of cooking.  The mighty Weber has stood the test of time since it was first designed, and yeah, you're right, a basic kettle is good enough to make you the best cook on your block without either you or your grill breaking a sweat. 

About a year ago, I snapped up a free 22 ots from CL.  The guy was giving it away because he had gotten a new awesome giant combination side-box style griller/smoker for Father's Day.  I congratulated him on his 8-foot monstrosity crammed onto his small patio, and asked about how he liked cooking on it.  He told me this long tale of woe of a 15-hour Sunday session where he tried to smoke some butt on it.  Which ended up with him exhausted from all of the fire-tending, and a butt that didn't even taste good.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that he was giving away a far superior smoker...  I took it home, cleaned it up, and gave it to my buddy, who was turning out great butts from his very first try.  Besides all the steaks, roast chickens, etc.. 

Weber:  the one and only.  FTW!
One of the charcoal people.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
I got mine "New" at Lowe's last December. I got it on sale and my Dad was with me so I got an additional discount because he is retired military so I got it at a really good price. I know that I have spent more of grates and tools and the other stuff that makes bbq so much fun. One more great thing about the Weber kettle is that I always have some leftover charcoal that I can use the next time......no matter what I do (or did actually  since I never use it anymore) with my Char-griller I would never be able to snuff the fire. Weber rules!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 03:10:30 PM »

I would worry a whit about all that......

I got so damn many, I can't even walk around out there !!!

What's REALLY important is you dang well  know what you're doing behind the wheel of a kettle......I've seen your cooks & that's appearent !!!

It's the spirit of the kettle & it's  effective use that's important..... ;D

You're living the blue line in my signature & so is everyone else here, no matter how many or how few !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »
A man with a single kettle has far more tools of the trade than 1 man with no kettle at all. 1 kettle or 10, they all perform the same from a cooking and results standpoint. A Grillfella with only 1 kettle is a Grillfella of great self control and discipline.  8)

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 04:13:27 AM »
I've always heard that you have to watch out for the man who only has one gun the most.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jaronimo

• WKC Brave
    • Cooking in my Yard
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 04:45:54 AM »
I got 4 at the moment.  Soon to be 3.  But something prettier will show up again and I will be back at 4.  I kinda have a habit of always having at least 2, but sometimes 5 Webers. 

I rotate them.  Find something different, buy it off craigslist, use it for a while, then sell one of the others. 

Except for my copper OTG, I have a feeling I will have that one the longest.

And they are all different and used for different things. 
The copper sees the most use.  The performer gets used with the rotisserie or when i need the table.  The 18 incher is for small quick stuff or with the dutch oven.  And the  OTS is for camping or when we go paintballing in July at skirmish for D-Day.
Copper colored Weber OTG, Black Weber OTS, Copper colored Weber E310, UDS, and a wood burning pizza oven.

Cooking in my Yard

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 06:34:48 AM »
One Touch, even with one grill and all your accessories, your far ahead of the people with throw away gassers. Have a neighbor that has gone through two gassers since moving in(8 years). They purchased a OTG last summer, they couldn't be happier.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 04:46:17 PM »
DO NOT feel inferior..That is not what we are here for.  As Mike said the all cook the same..You already have the ultimate tool for grilling....And a great one at that.  This is not a contest, it is a celebration.  Yes some have more and some have less.  You never know, maybe a nice redhead will show up by you for $20, or you will see one at the curb on garbage day.  Part of what is great is that is a pretty cheap hobby.  I have found some of my grills for $20 and some for free.  If you can talk your wife into getting more than one, then you can go find a cheap one....Really two kettles are ideal.  Start with that.  Along the way maybe you can find a different color bowl for your platinum.  As long as you are here you should never feel inferior.....DO NOT FEEL BAD...... EVER
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 05:00:31 PM »
I don't feel bad ..........more like Kettle envy. :-[

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
This is the "no judgement zone" for kettles and grills.  If you think about it,  a OTS will cook as good a ribs as a performer.  I buy a lot of grills on CL and at times I will get one and make it "my" grill and tell myself that I am going to keep it for a while.  Then I find another good deal and realize that I can make some cash and I sell the really nice one.
I recently did this when I bought an S-310 for $250,  I LOVED it, then I found a really nice Genesis Silver C for $50, I sold the S-310 for $400 so I netted over $100 in the deal. plus I have a nice Silver C for Free. 
In this case I don't have grill envy at all, I know in a month my collection could change completely. 

My wife realizes that I am in the + financially so she doesn't give me grief about the grills I own.

Right now, I have the Silver C, '99 Master-Touch (which I LOVE), '07 OTS and a mini Joe.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »

Don't.... you have an awesome grill...keep your eyes peeled.  As Lightning said start wheeling and dealing a little, then it funds itself...otherwise be proud of the great grill you have...
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
I wouldn't sweat it too much. Most of us do not have 30 cookers. I have too many at about a dozen. ;) I'm sure that if you want more cookers, the opportunity will eventually present. In the meantime, I can see from your posts that you are making very good use of what you have. You need envy no one!
kettles, smokers...