Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber lid exhaust mods  (Read 8482 times)

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
Weber lid exhaust mods
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:41:11 AM »
Has anybody installed a stack on top of weber kettle  lid vent baffle to increase air flow?
Bert

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
Re: Weber lid exhaust mods
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
Bert

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »
I haven't seen that,  I did however do this on my UDS.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 05:05:26 PM »
Thank you for sharing, here's what I came up with, it is not pretty but it works and easy to undo.

Bert

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »
What does that gain?  Same size holes will be the same as normal would it not?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

robert-r

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 08:31:56 AM »
What does that gain?  Same size holes will be the same as normal would it not?

X2
18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland, Stackers, Roti Rings & Stick Burning Al Pastore Cooker

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 11:37:18 AM »
Seems like your in for a FUN bbq! Looks ridiculous but it's something that'll draw conversations if sitting around. Maybe some pimp bragging rights too
Please I mean No offense to the modder, have FUN making it, the conversations and the looks it'll get.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:42:38 AM by Paul S »
RetireCheapJC says: There's always an option.

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 12:20:55 PM »
The logic behind the vent stack is to create a stack or chimney effect, a natural phenomena that occurs when the density difference between a hot and a cold air column creates a natural flow through a chimney. The greater the thermal difference and the height of the chimney, the greater the flow is, forcing more air into the grill.

I wanted to increase the air flow without doing any permanent modification to the grill. It is easy to take out, when it is not needed.
Bert

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »
IMO, gain in air flow is minimal if none at all. Even with dual lid vents, thinking x2 the air flow.... you will need bigger bowl vents holes to create optimal air flow.

The question here is, why do we need more air flow? We are already getting high enough temp. with stock configuration.  Crack open the lid a bit or take the lid off if you are grilling or need to get the charcoal temp up. If you need to sear steaks... take the lid off or think about bringing the charcoal grate closer to the cooking grate.  Just my thoughts.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Weber lid exhaust mods
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 03:33:25 PM »
IMO, gain in air flow is minimal if none at all. Even with dual lid vents, thinking x2 the air flow.... you will need bigger bowl vents holes to create optimal air flow.

The question here is, why do we need more air flow? We are already getting high enough temp. with stock configuration.  Crack open the lid a bit or take the lid off if you are grilling or need to get the charcoal temp up. If you need to sear steaks... take the lid off or think about bringing the charcoal grate closer to the cooking grate.  Just my thoughts.

I agree. Cracking the lid does the job with no effort at all.  However I disagree that dual lid vents wouldn’t increase air flow on a one touch. A one touch already has more intake than a three wheeler so adding a dual lid vent would have to increase air flow. JulesV?  He would know.

Bert, let us know how the chimney effect works.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 03:39:22 AM by HoosierKettle »

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 04:27:25 AM »

I looked at smoker pit design, stack size play big roll in air flow. I think a stack like the one I did will provide more air flow than dual lid vents and it will not be negligible. I tried to find a way to calculate the flow rate, I figured it will be easier to just do it and see if it make a diiference. I had all needed materials.

This is for pizza making, see my post at http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/pizza-forum/performer-max-temperature/

IMO Cracking lid open will allow more heat to escape than generating heat where I needed the most which at the lid top.
Bert

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 05:11:49 AM »
Lol

Webers rule

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 05:19:32 AM »
Did it work? Did it increase airflow? How did you test and verify your experiment? I guess a simple way to test, IMO, would be to fire it up and settle in at a target temp without the stack then install it and see where it settles..

I like where your going with the experiment and the way you attached the tube to the can then to the lid.. now I'd like to see some numbers. Keep in mind that the length and thickness of the pipe has an effect on the temperature and thus the speed of the gasses moving through it. The will be an "optimal" length.

As an experiment this looks interesting. I personally don't see the benefit. If you want higher temps drop a split log on your coals. You'll be at pizza oven temps in 5 minutes or so. Also, as a matter of practicality, how are you gonna check your food? You gonna pull that hot piece of metal off every time you open the lid?

You've just begun to peek into the rabbit hole of curiosity, young Jedi. Report your findings.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 06:36:39 PM »
 I gotta say that I agree with cracking the lid a bit will give all the heat you will ever need. Last night I did chicken wings on my mastertouch in -28C temperatures with the botton vent wide open and the lid vent wide open. Max temp I hit was 450, I cracked the lid slightly and checked it around 10 minutes later and it over the 600 mark and thats just with burquettes. Toss on a split as minigrilin says and the temps should get much hotter.
Great thinking out of the box though. Experimenting is fun. Keep us posted on your findings

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 04:51:48 AM »
Exactly, experimenting is fun.  I have not tried yet; I am waiting on some insulation sheets that I ordered to insulate the lid. Instead I will use them to insulate the vent, which is made of thin aluminum.  I have the lid oriented so the vent is on the opposite of me, it will not get in contact with the Performer lid holder when the lid is stored in it.

I am using my bake time with the lid closed as a reference to measure other methods against it.

I will probably try cracking the lid open this weekend if I don't have the insulation.

I am trying to stay away from wood fire, as I find it harder to control especially the smoke. I will definitely try it.  I only have time time during the week end, so it may take me a while to get to it. Any recommendation on kind of and size of split logs to use?
Bert