Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thick 2" Rib Eye Steaks weber kettle - Is reverse sear necessary?  (Read 1410 times)

cossack joe

• Happy Cooker
 I've done my research and watched enough youtube videos about the reverse sear. I feel like 45-60 minutes to grill a steak is crazy, but I don't want to ruin them.
I have my Thermpro digital thermometer all ready to go. The thing is, I'm cooking burgers too. Starting the steaks an hour earlier isn't a problem, but have never prepared to cook like this. Obviously, I'm new.
 I'm nervous to cook these steaks, what is the best method?  Cook indirectly until ______________ temp. - What temp should they be when I initially take them off?  Also what temp should they be when they are officially "done"?
Thank you for any and all help

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Thick 2" Rib Eye Steaks weber kettle - Is reverse sear necessary?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »
For ribeye thicker than 1 1/2", reverse sear until 120-125F. Sear until 135-140F, let it rest for 10 minutes and it should rise to 140-145 for medium rare. Adjust internal temp to your liking.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Thick 2" Rib Eye Steaks weber kettle - Is reverse sear necessary?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 11:44:53 AM »
For ribeye thicker than 1 1/2", reverse sear until 120-125F. Sear until 135-140F, let it rest for 10 minutes and it should rise to 140-145 for medium rare. Adjust internal temp to your liking.
+1 I go for rare but perfect instructions for medium rare
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 01:03:11 PM »
I'm normally not a big fan of reverse sear but with a steak like this I'm sure I would do so...Treat it more like a small roast than a steak...

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 01:07:16 PM »
The reverse sear gets a lot of attention and is the current trend, but you can do okay if you just grill them until 135 degrees, just have move from 10 to 2 every couple of minutes and flip. You do not need reverse sear.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Thick 2" Rib Eye Steaks weber kettle - Is reverse sear necessary?
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 04:44:14 PM »
Kettlebb swears by reverse sear. I don’t know if it takes him 45 minutes though.

I prefer caveman style. Ain’t nothing like it, hands down the best steak you’ve ever had, takes ten minutes, and always a fun conversation piece for your guests. Just be sure to use lump charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:45:59 PM by Schaefd2 »
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 05:28:53 PM »
Yessssir I love reverse sear and if I buy some quality steaks that is my preferred method. I’ve never really timed it start to finish but generally it’s not something I try in a rush on a Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 06:51:15 AM »
So I was taught traditionally that searing the meat FIRST helped lock in juices, etc.  Then move indirect and let it come up to temp.  It was one of those "this is the way dad always did it" kind of things.  Whats the big benefit of reverse sear?  I know a lot of people are going that way now.  Frankly I cook mine pretty direct.  It's just me and the wife and we typically don't have super thick steaks.  Just curious why everyone loves reverse sear so much?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 07:21:58 AM »
Searing to lock in juices is incorrect. Not what is actually happening to the meat. This is a good read on the subject.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/how-grill-better-steakhouse-steaks-recipe

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 10:24:24 AM »
^^That link is great.  Thanks for the info.  Read it over lunch hour today.  Great read and very helpful in understanding the how/why.  Thanks again

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »
No problem. I don’t take Amazing Ribs as gospel but there is a lot of great knowledge on that site and great how/why food science type stuff. Take pics of your first reverse sear and if you are a steak guy take some notes along the way. It will get better every time you try it.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 12:53:27 AM »
I like a reverse sear on a thicker cut.

Puts some smoke to it.

How I like to do it if I'm not at work and can pay attention-

Slowly bring up to 100 offset.

Have cast iron pan on the cooking grate over the coals throughout the cook heating up.

Remove steak completely from the grill lightly tented in foil once 105 internal.

Keep lid off-vents wide open for about ten minutes.

Put some butter in the cast iron pan.

Lay the steak down flat on the cast iron- entire surface of meat gets carmelization effect, not just where the grates were.

Tilt pan to the side and baste the steak with the butter that runs down in the bottom of the pan.

Flip, and do the same on the other side with the butter.

Take off at 120 internal, let rest for another 5-10 minutes.

Consume.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:55:14 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 03:12:06 AM »
I like the last line of instruction " Consume " LOL
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
@kettlebb I like Amazing Ribs too, but like you, I don't take it as gospel. I almost wonder if he spends so much time debunking every single thing about grilling just to drive up visits to his site. Still great stuff there, though.