Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Caribbean-style BBQ wings  (Read 1858 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Caribbean-style BBQ wings
« on: December 14, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »

oh.

sorry!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Caribbean-style BBQ wings
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 04:41:43 PM »
Lol. Perfect 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:42:06 PM »
They look like they were a hit!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »
Where did they go??????

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
4lb bag of frozen wings, Walmart Great Crap brand. I may be misremembering the precise name.

1 heapin' chimney of heat dumped into the machine. Spread them out a little. Still-frozen wings dumped on grill, direct. Crack the lid off to the side for more air/heat.

Flip every few minutes once or twice and start applying Carribean Style BBQ sauce for the last couple of flips.

Remove and eat.

That's it. No freakin' brine no freakin' marinade no freakin' thaw no freakin' breading/flour mix no freakin' spice rub no freakin' problem.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 07:36:26 PM »
Sounds delicious! Thanks for the write up. How long does it take that way?
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »
I didn't look at the clock, but would be surprised if it took more than about 30 minutes to cook. So I suppose that's quicker than cooking indirect; most of us seem to hit 45 minutes or more from what I've read here. As soon as some became dark I was slapping sauce and soon after, pulling them. I've overcooked them before.

A direct cook that's not a "sear" (coals spread out all over the bottom) is not really any hotter than having them arranged in baskets or banked to one side. In fact, I'd wager the heat might be less for a given area, but since it's direct ... does that make sense? It's the same but different.

I do slightly dome the coals and this does create a somewhat hotter zone in the center. But it's subtle on shorter cooks. I move food around but not constantly. If I had spread coals out and it was a long cook, the outside coals would surely die from non-contact with the center.

This decision is a side effect of my never wanting hot charcoal directly touching the bowl. My daily driver is a 25 yr old red kettle and I don't intend to create missing paint pockmarks from banked coals. I have black kettles for that; they can take the heat better than any colored one can.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 11:02:44 PM »
I didn't look at the clock, but would be surprised if it took more than about 30 minutes to cook. So I suppose that's quicker than cooking indirect; most of us seem to hit 45 minutes or more from what I've read here. As soon as some became dark I was slapping sauce and soon after, pulling them. I've overcooked them before.

A direct cook that's not a "sear" (coals spread out all over the bottom) is not really any hotter than having them arranged in baskets or banked to one side. In fact, I'd wager the heat might be less for a given area, but since it's direct ... does that make sense? It's the same but different.

I do slightly dome the coals and this does create a somewhat hotter zone in the center. But it's subtle on shorter cooks. I move food around but not constantly. If I had spread coals out and it was a long cook, the outside coals would surely die from non-contact with the center.

This decision is a side effect of my never wanting hot charcoal directly touching the bowl. My daily driver is a 25 yr old red kettle and I don't intend to create missing paint pockmarks from banked coals. I have black kettles for that; they can take the heat better than any colored one can.
Get yourself an 18" charcoal holder if you don't want the coals touching  and damaging  the bowl on your vintage kettles.

JV
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:14:16 AM by Jules V. »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 06:46:18 AM »
Oh jeez, and I JUST SAW your thread about that before starting ... although I didn't fully understand what all the various pieces you showed were.

I do have an 18.5" WSM but the parts are all in storage. I'll be getting that soon. Great idea!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 07:47:45 AM »
what? wings without the vortex? I didn't know this was possible :P

actually the frozen to direct method surprises me. I've heard of people doing that with frozen burgers and steaks as well

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 10:49:07 PM »
what? wings without the vortex? I didn't know this was possible :P

actually the frozen to direct method surprises me. I've heard of people doing that with frozen burgers and steaks as well

The Horror. No Vortex? My wife prefers chicken parts with the "cook with the SNS then dance 'em over the coals" method (and then she pulls the skin off, go figure).  So cook 'em like you like 'em! I'm happy either way.

I have never cooked frozen wings, but I have cooked a metric buttload of frozen burgers for company events. Not great, but good enough to get by for that kind of event.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 04:44:52 AM »
Never tried it with beef. I don't remember if I learned about frozen wings here or if it was a desperation move a while back, but it does work. Comes out the same for me.

Comes in handy for me because buying them frozen is often the only way I can get them as 1st/2nd sections. The fresh wings are often full wings.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 11:09:39 AM »

Oh jeez, and I JUST SAW your thread about that before starting ... although I didn't fully understand what all the various pieces you showed were.

I do have an 18.5" WSM but the parts are all in storage. I'll be getting that soon. Great idea!
That's just 2 ss steamer inserts that i cut off and attached together. It sits on top of the charcoal grate perimeter.    It keeps the coal away from the sides of the bowl.  I just remove it when i use use the SnS.

JV

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 10:58:32 AM »
Looks like you only got four.  Are there leftovers???

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna