Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: slow n sear question  (Read 2202 times)

rober

• Smokey Joe
slow n sear question
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:53:02 AM »
I've searched & read about this thing & I'm trying to figure out just what it does. to me it looks like it's an extra large charcoal basket with a water trough. so does the larger capacity give you a more concentrated heat source & the water creates a heat barrier for indirect cooking. I have some stainless sheets in my scrap heap but would like to fully understand it's usefulness before I build one. I already made a vortex with a stainless bowl I got at goodwill.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Re: slow n sear question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:40:03 AM »
It's a pretty handy product because it's easily removable and can be set back up easily.  You can achieve similar results with a couple of fire bricks though.  I have a SnS and use it regularly but it's probably not totally necessary.  I'm a gadget guy(spoken sucker) so I tend to pick up every new toy they put out.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:52:32 AM »
... so does the larger capacity give you a more concentrated heat source

Yes, OR you can alternatively load it with unlit and start just one end with a few lit coals. Over the course of several hours it'll slowly burn through to the rest, for low and slow. Hence the name.

& the water creates a heat barrier for indirect cooking.

The SS itself, as well as it being a double wall on that side, is a heat barrier, compared to Weber's aluminized steel baskets. But yes water can help with that, too.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

rober

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 05:04:59 AM »
so if I used a weber charcoal basket & something like this I would achieve the same results? while I have the stainless I do not have a welder here that I can weld stainless with. i'd have to go to a millwright friend of mine's shop to weld it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:06:56 AM by rober »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 05:28:56 AM »
You won’t be disappointed if you buy the Slow n Sear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 05:41:49 AM »
so if I used a weber charcoal basket & something like this I would achieve the same results? ...

Based on what I said above, I don't know why you'd expect to get the "same results."

The SS that Adrenaline BBQ uses is thick(er) and the walls are welded (no air gaps, and that includes the water tray). Everyone who has one has mentioned how heavy they are. That mass contributes to heat retention/heat concentration/fuel economy. All of that adds up, yeah?

But if you won't be welding anything yourself and just want to experiment, try a "bigger better basket" first. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-bigger-better-basket-case/msg285107/#msg285107
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 06:01:50 AM »
It is not the same as fire bricks. The SNS keeps the coals off the kettle bowl, this air gap works as a bit of insulation for heat retention. Banking coals on the side of the kettle means the coals are spending energy heating the kettle wall which is cooling from the outside air. The stainless steel is thick and highly conductive whereas bricks take a lot of energy to heat up. Water reservoir is big and exposed to direct heat evenly. This humidifies the kettle which is a benefit for bark formation and less humid geographies. High heat searing is concentrated and easy. Above all it fits the kettle perfectly and make reloading the basket easy. One can pack a lot of coals efficiently into the kettle for long cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

rober

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 06:07:42 AM »
sounds like I should build one

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 06:31:03 AM »
If you can do it. If I had the time, skills and materials I’d like to give it a try too. Nothing better than pride of craftsmanship.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 07:29:45 AM »
The SnS stays in my kettle....and it is multifunctional....indirect cooks, roti, sear station, low and slow, etc.....it is much easier than my old firebrick set up for low and slow, & seems more efficient with my briquettes than charcoal baskets....but my favorite part is the way it protects the porcelain on my OKP.  my SSP has a lot of porcelain damage from extended periods of banking coals during the times when my baskets rotted out and i kept on cooking without a replacement set (i had no idea that this happened from banking coals).  this is not a concern for me now with 2 zone high heat cooks using the SnS.....and it is solid....will definitely last a long time and not rot out like most baskets. 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

rwalters

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »
I did not realize how much I would use the SnS until I actually had one. 99% of my cooks, mostly 2 zone grilling, see the SnS. I love it!!

rober

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 01:20:10 PM »
my coals are never against the kettle. I have a cajun bandit coal ring in it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 07:32:48 PM »

so if I used a weber charcoal basket & something like this I would achieve the same results? while I have the stainless I do not have a welder here that I can weld stainless with. i'd have to go to a millwright friend of mine's shop to weld it.
Photo looks familiar. 

JV

rober

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 06:57:20 AM »
I borrowed it from this website. haven't figured out how to use the quote & some other features yet. didn't know i'd be stepping on toes.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 08:22:42 PM »
I did not realize how much I would use the SnS until I actually had one. 99% of my cooks, mostly 2 zone grilling, see the SnS. I love it!!

It's kind of silly but, I never thought of using the sns for 2 zone cooking other than for a indirect cooking. I usually just spread the coals around to accomplish that. But as addicted to smoke pointed out with the water resevoir acting as an insulating heat deflector, it definately stops the heat right there. I found that out a few days ago when I did my first hot and fast rib cook. The ribs were very close to the edge of the resevoir but did not burn and the temp gauge was reading 500*+ above the coals. Using the sns for 2 zone cooking would give 2 very distinct cooking zones. I will have to try this out.