Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 13 flavorizer bars for Genesis 100o question  (Read 1676 times)

Robert

• WKC Brave
13 flavorizer bars for Genesis 100o question
« on: December 13, 2017, 08:36:07 AM »
Picked up an Old Redhead Genesis 1000 in fairly rough but restorable condition.  Needs regulator hose, complete ignitor setup, wooden slats and flavorizer bars.  Grates could be salvaged, but probably replace those as well.  Can anyone tell me why the 1000 has 13 flavorizer bars?  The newer Genesis models only have 5 bars.  Has anybody tried just using the five bars?

Thanks,

Robert

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 13 flavorizer bars for Genesis 100o question
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »
tell me why the 1000 has 13 flavorizer bars

Over-engineered, in retrospect? Or, they saved $$ and went with fewer, later, without much customer complaint.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 10:47:40 AM »
More is better

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 11:03:05 AM »
More is better

Basically true. As the meat cooks, the dripping juices and fat vaporizes (partially anyway) on the hot flavorizers, and the resulting smoke mimics that good grilled flavor. A double layer almost guarantees not a single drop will go unvaporized. With a single layer, fewer drops will hit hot steel. My guess is that from a food taste POV, you would be hard pressed to taste the difference, so why not use fewer bars?

There may have also been a reason when they changed form "East/West" burner tubes to "North/South" in terms of the ability to effectively cover the burners and still get sufficient vaporization, but my my mind can't quite wrap itself around all that at the moment.

Retired

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 02:12:10 PM »
13 bars also gives better heat distribution and even fewer flare ups.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 02:54:58 PM »
Less parts = more profit
Plus smaller parts because the cookbox can be made shorter when only using one layer of bars.

I have a Genesis Jr with the  double SS flavorizer bars and SS grates. The double bars make it cook nice and even.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Robert

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies.  Placed my order with RCPlanebuyer.  Bought the 13 bars for the 1000.  Bought the 5 bars for the Silver C and grates for both.  Expensive hobby that we engage in.  These parts are for restoring a couple of older gasser for my two son's.  Hopefully they will use them when they just don't want to build a charcoal fire.

Robert