Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Indiana pizza history  (Read 30649 times)

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
Re: Indiana pizza history
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 11:00:28 AM »
@blksabbath Almost looks like IMO's (The square beyond compare)... agree???  Edge to edge sauce and toppings with the special 5 blend cheese...  nom nom....

>>HUNGRY<<

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
I grew up in Floyds Knobs, In and Pizza King was a huge part of my memories. I remember when my 8th grade school year ended a few of my buddies and I would ride our bikes to a strawberry patch at 6am and pick them till noon and get paid by the gallon. When we finished we would ride our bikes, with our days earnings in hand, to Gibson’s market and by baseball cards then go across the street to Pizza King and order a pizza for lunch. Man, were those some great times!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Did ya put those baseball card you didn't want in you spokes with a wooden spring'd clothes pin too?  We did!!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 01:07:13 PM »

I grew up in Floyds Knobs, In and Pizza King was a huge part of my memories. I remember when my 8th grade school year ended a few of my buddies and I would ride our bikes to a strawberry patch at 6am and pick them till noon and get paid by the gallon. When we finished we would ride our bikes, with our days earnings in hand, to Gibson’s market and by baseball cards then go across the street to Pizza King and order a pizza for lunch. Man, were those some great times!!!

Did ya put those baseball card you didn't want in you spokes with a wooden spring'd clothes pin too?  We did!!
I absolutely did! Those are some of the best memories I have from growing up in Southern Indiana.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 01:09:21 PM »

Very cool memory. I didn’t realize pizza king were down that way as well. I just tried googling all of their locations which is harder than it sounds. Some of the maps showed some in Kentucky as well. Give a shout out if your in southern Indiana and Kentucky or elsewhere and let us know where they are all at.

Did your pizza king have arcade games?

We stop at the greensburg pizza king every year when we cut our Christmas tree down in new point. They have a small arcade room that myself and the kids play games at while waiting. They have pole position!  My kids are 21 and 18 but still amuse me by playing them with me.

It had a couple of pinball machines but nothing else. I guess we were to far out in the country back in those days.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »
My first attempt was a huge success with the family. I was surprised how good it turned out. This was inside in the oven.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 02:33:53 PM »
Looks awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »

My first attempt was a huge success with the family. I was surprised how good it turned out. This was inside in the oven.

Man, does that bring back memories, that looks delicious! Do you remember how they used to be packaged as a to-go pizza, with the cardboard base and the paper bag that was made not to touch the top of the pizza? Way before delivery!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 06:39:57 PM »
Dude that looks killer. My favorite part of pies like that are those little triangle pieces. I’m usually first to get to the pie so I can pound those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »
Thanks guys, this was one of my best. I put the pepperoni in the food processor and grinded it up a bit so there is pepperoni over the whole pizza and sausage on half. I used raw Italian sausage and just pinched small hunks of it and spread it out on half. I made a sauce starting with garlic simmered in olive oil for a minute then poured in crushed tomatoes, a little sugar, salt, and Italian herbs. It was really flavorful. Brian, I do not remember that to go pizza. I think we always ate in the restaurant. In fact, we still do when we get pizza king.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »
I also docked the dough with a fork to prevent blisters. Brian, you should work on making this style of pizza. I think the main thing that made it taste similar is crumbled up pepperoni throughout and using a mix of mozzarella and provolone.

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »

I also docked the dough with a fork to prevent blisters. Brian, you should work on making this style of pizza. I think the main thing that made it taste similar is crumbled up pepperoni throughout and using a mix of mozzarella and provolone.

Thanks for the tips, I definitely see me doing this in the near future. This thread has really brought me back to some great memories! Thanks

Haecker

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2018, 12:41:50 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I just recently joined the kettle club and I'm from Muncie so I have a special place in my heart for Pizza King pizza.  I did a fairly decent replication of a royal feast last year on my Memphis pellet grill for my wife's and sister's joint birthday party (no they are not the same person).  I found some online recipes that were pretty close and an entire reddit discussion which I studied for no less than 8 hours.  The results were worth it!  I am excited to try the same with my 22" WK pro. More projects to feed my bbq obsession [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 02:44:58 PM »
@Haecker , depending on what part of the country you're from, we may need to see valid I.D. of both wife and sister.  HAHA, Welcome to the club...  I'm all california but I love threads like this, for us it was Shakeys, but the memories are all the same. 
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »
There's one in Jeffersonville and also one in New Albany.

Here's a list of a bunch of locations.

http://theoriginalpizzaking.com/locations

As for the pizza, I guess it's an acquired taste.  I'm not real fond of PK or the Arni's down this way.

MauroBBQ

• WKC Brave
    • Mauro's BBQ
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »
@HoosierKettle
I live in Juarez Mexico (border with El Paso TX)
Work sometimes takes me to Columbus IN area... I Always fly in to IND airport
Will look for Pizza King in my next trip to try it =]
Thanks for the post
22" Performer - SJG:N code - GA: P code - Weber Q 1000 - Weber Q 2000 - WSM 22"
Youtube page: Mauro's BBQ
email: maurobbq73@gmail.com