Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer max temperature  (Read 14616 times)

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
Performer max temperature
« on: December 06, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »
Greeting, I am a new proud owner of a Weber Performer. I like some tips on how to acheive max temperature in my Performer with the lid close and both top and bottom vents fully open. And how to manage to keep the heat consistent for about an hour and half.

Thank you
Bert

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Performer max temperature
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »
Greeting, I am a new proud owner of a Weber Performer. I like some tips on how to acheive max temperature in my Performer with the lid close and both top and bottom vents fully open. And how to manage to keep the heat consistent for about an hour and half.

Thank you

You pretty much answered your own question.  If lid shut and all vents wide open isn't getting hot enough for you try cracking the lid a little bit so it can get some more air.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »
I can't remember the thread or OP but I do remember someone here posting a kettle modification where they drilled additional lid vent holes and added a second lid vent to a 22" kettle.  If your performer is too nice for that, try finding a cheap CL kettle and add more lid vents. 
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
I can't remember the thread or OP but I do remember someone here posting a kettle modification where they drilled additional lid vent holes and added a second lid vent to a 22" kettle.  If your performer is too nice for that, try finding a cheap CL kettle and add more lid vents.

I remember that.  Or how about putting a Ranch kettle lid vent on it!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:54:34 AM »
I just want to know the max temperature that I can achieve with my performer without any modification and max amount of charcoal I can use before it start chocking. That will be big help, it will take me few loads of charcoals to figure that out.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:57:45 AM by BertVentures »
Bert

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:08:07 AM »
My non scientific opinion would be one weber chimney of kingsford would net 500-550 for a couple hours. If you don’t have a weber chimney, get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »
Lots of other variables will affect temperature like coal arrangement, weather, amount of meat, cooking direct or indirect etc

Just jump in and start cooking. That will be the fastest way to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:13:30 AM by HoosierKettle »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 10:42:35 AM »

Thank you
What temperature are you going after?     Humidity, outside temperature and type of of coal you use will also affect the max temperature. I use royal oak lump and it can get to 525-550 for about 45 minutes using a full chimney. With 2 lid vents wide open the temperature can go up to about 700-750 but for only 30 minutes. If you want even higher temperature then add more coal and keep the lid cracked open by about 1". When I use 1 1/2 chimney of  "fully lit"lump the  lid thermometer wraps around to 200 on the thermometer dial.

JV

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
I just want to know the max temperature that I can achieve with my performer without any modification and max amount of charcoal I can use before it start chocking. That will be big help, it will take me few loads of charcoals to figure that out.

I would say your best bet is putting your charcoal baskets (or get a vortex) in the middle and filling them with one fully lit chimney of coals, then add about a 1/2 chimney of coals on top of that and let them get going for 5-10 minutes with your lid off.  That is probably going to be about as hot as you can get the grill with vents wide open and the lid on firmly.  You should be able to hit between 550-600 at the top of the lid, probably 450-500 at the grate level around the edges, 1000+ at the grate above the coals.

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 11:31:52 AM »
Thank you all for your response. I do have a Weber chimney, pizza is what on the menu for my first use of the grill, mid 40's in Houston this weekend (finally), I will probably start with 2 layers of lit briquettes spread evenly all around charcoal grate (6" empty circle in the middle) for my first bake and work my way up.

I will be using my Mighty Pizza Stone, a pizza stone with an adjustable heat diffuser, (I launched on kickstarter last year), the adjustable diffuser allow me to control the stone temperature to balance pizza top and bottom cooking rate for even bake. 

My goal is to get the temperature as high as possible at the grate level (above the stone) without any mod to my grill, the higher the temperature the faster the bake time I can get.

So at 500F by the grate level, my bake time should be 8 to 10 minutes, will see how it goes.

Bert

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 12:14:04 PM »
Not completely necessary but a Kettle Pizza would be pretty handy if you're planning on cooking pizza (fairly) often.

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:45:08 PM »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 01:46:55 PM »
@BertVentures - really cool pizza stone!  I can see your invention doing very well for people who want to cook pizzas on their grills without any of the expensive pizza attachments that are out there.  One other thing I thought about for getting high heat is putting a coal basket on the cooking great in addition to the coals on the coal grate.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightypizzaoven/mighty-pizza-stone-perfect-pizza-on-your-grill-eve

This and the kettlepizza might be a match made in heaven

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I'll take your word on it. Just ordered one although I've never cooked a pizza on a kettle before. Not much a pizza eater but my 6 yrs old love plain cheese pizza. Hopefully it would work great with my Caliente stacker without using a pizza stacker. 

JV
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:52:54 PM by Jules V. »