Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New old stock fire pit  (Read 2846 times)

MTW524

• WKC Brave
Re: New old stock fire pit
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 06:19:51 AM »

It's great, enjoy it and take care of it. I got a cover for it off Amazon. I definitely recommend pouring play sand in the tray beneath it, and also adding a charcoal grate to raise the logs a bit and aid in preserving this one of a kind Weber product. Lastly, the wood handles are junk, mine fell apart even with good care-- get some Zavod handles.  Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »
That is a great picture! Congrats on your find!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 02:19:19 AM »
That takes some serious nuts to operate that bad boy on a wooden deck.
Yikes.

Looks really nice!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 09:06:22 PM »
The handles are actually bamboo, not the traditional wood. As an fyi, the bamboo handles on mine did not fare well. After about five years outside, but under cover they completely deteriorated. The finish failed and the bamboo split.

These fireplaces were reissued for a couple of years around 2007-2010ish. Those years aren't exact, but close.

I use sand in mine too, and it's a fantastic backyard pit. Placing the lid on top does something magical and drastically cuts down on smoke production while directing heat out toward the sides.

MTW524

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 03:22:08 AM »
That takes some serious nuts to operate that bad boy on a wooden deck.
Yikes.

Looks really nice!
Thanks. Serious nuts is in no short supply here.  It does seem daunting, but the manual for the pit actually says it's safe for operation on a deck, but to ensure that the sand is used. When I make a big fire in it, the sand totally insulates the heat from the surface beneath the pit which is completely unaffected temperature wise, it's really interesting.  Lastly, whenever I use it I definitely hose down the deck really good and keep the fire extinguisher close by though.

MTW524

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 03:25:32 AM »
The handles are actually bamboo, not the traditional wood. As an fyi, the bamboo handles on mine did not fare well. After about five years outside, but under cover they completely deteriorated. The finish failed and the bamboo split.

These fireplaces were reissued for a couple of years around 2007-2010ish. Those years aren't exact, but close.

I use sand in mine too, and it's a fantastic backyard pit. Placing the lid on top does something magical and drastically cuts down on smoke production while directing heat out toward the sides.
Aha, yes mine split apart in strips but I didn't realize it was bamboo. The physics of the smoke dissapation is really interesting isn't it? Best thing to do is to always burn properly seasoned firewood to avoid smoke. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 07:27:16 AM »
You guys are really making me want one of these.

The absence of over-smoke with the cap on is probably because the flame's "exhaust" is then not essentially infinite. Part of what a stove or fireplace chimney does is to "slow down" the air flow a bit so that it lasts longer / doesn't run away.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 07:53:40 AM »
Nice! I had a similar story when I found mine. If you value your grass, place it on a paver base about 12" bigger than it's footprint. The heat gets redirected down and kills the grass around it even if you put sand in the bottom. You will have a nice brown ring on the ground several days after using it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:39:38 AM by dwnthehatch »

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 08:08:03 AM »
Wow! That is an awesome score. Congrats.