Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cold smoking cheese  (Read 3895 times)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Cold smoking cheese
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »
Yum!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 07:20:12 PM »
@larry @mkrause Thank You! I have three more bricks so we’ll try the, in two weeks!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 04:00:38 PM »
That tube has some pretty good reviews!

Amazen Pellet Tube Smoker 12" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CS6YFIC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tVDiAbBGMSG21

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Look what came today! The damn pellets aren't coming until next week though...[emoji20]

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 04:37:48 PM »
Cool and congrats, please post your cheese when when you're done.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2017, 10:38:38 AM »
Upper 30’s last night for cheese smokin. Simple setup with a couple briquettes and a wood chunk for about 4 hours. Ice bottle for insurance.

Wrapped in plastic and into the fridge for a week.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 10:42:17 PM »
@PorkPatrol, @Mkrause exactly. The cheese needs time after it’s smoked. I use a FoodSaver 2000 but you can wrap them in Saran Wrap, put the in a plastic bag and refrigerate. Try them in 2 weeks, you will definitely taste the difference.

It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

Cheese looks amazing. I've wanted to try this for some time now and have no idea why I haven't. When you say the food saver 2000, do you mean you are vacuum sealing them after you smoke then and letting them rest. How long do you smoke them and do different cheeses smoke for different times or are they all the same time.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 10:51:36 PM »
That tube has some pretty good reviews!

Amazen Pellet Tube Smoker 12" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CS6YFIC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_tVDiAbBGMSG21

Look what came today! The damn pellets aren't coming until next week though...[emoji20]

I've got a 2"x2" square x 12" long smoke tube that made I from similar material yours is made from but I haven't used it yet. I can't get the pellets near me but I can get the wood smoking chips. Has anyone tried those in smoke a tube

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 10:54:48 PM »
Upper 30’s last night for cheese smokin. Simple setup with a couple briquettes and a wood chunk for about 4 hours. Ice bottle for insurance.

Wrapped in plastic and into the fridge for a week.

Never thought of that simple way. 4 hours out of a couple briquettes, that's amazing. How did it work

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 05:52:08 AM »
@WMT, using the A-Maze-N tube and my WSM, I smoke the cheese for 2 hours 15 minutes. I then remove the oil from the cheese with a paper towel and yes, I vacuum seal each individual block of cheese. I also label and date each block. I smoke all different types of cheese all together, all the same 2 hrs 15 min. I have smoked cheddar, swiss, colby, muenster, pepper jack, havarti, manchego and montAmore (see beginning of the thread). I think the key is wrapping them or vacuum sealing them and refrigerating them for at least 2 weeks. They all come out grate! This past Saturday my wife made a broccoli vegetable dish and she shredded a block of smoked sharp cheddar, it was delicious. Eat it plain, put it on burgers, vegetables, in omelets, or whatever else you can think of. The smoke just adds another layer of flavor.

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 06:27:37 AM »
Thanks Larry, now I just have do some experimenting on temperatures in my kettle. Probably not the best time around here to try and cold smoke cheese being that it is below the freezing mark but if I can use figure out how many birquettes to use to get the temperature just above the freezing mark in the kettle, it should work. I am wondering if using birquettes would add a flavor that is not desirable in cheese.

Larry

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 06:46:58 AM »
I’ve never used briquettes & wood chips/pellets. I’ve only used the smoking tube. But if you’re going to, make sure the smoker/Kettle stays around 50 to 60 or below. The max temperature would be ~ 80. 80 & above the cheese will melt. If you need to go longer than 2 hrs 15min,  ( 3 - 4hrs), do it. Check your cheese it should be turning a slightly darker color. You also don’t want the cheese to freeze. Good luck, post pics and let us know how  it turned out!

It's always better when you're cooking on a Weber!

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 08:03:33 AM »
Planning on doing some cheese this weekend with the smoker tube in the wsm... can it be too cold to smoke cheese? Might not get above 10* F this Saturday.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »
Planning on doing some cheese this weekend with the smoker tube in the wsm... can it be too cold to smoke cheese? Might not get above 10* F this Saturday.

I'm not sure the exact answer to your question but I prefer to smoke when the grill will end up around 70.  The cheese starts to soften up but isn't melting.  I think the softer the cheese is the more it will absorb, but I could be totally wrong about that.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 08:53:01 AM »
@PorkPatrol, @Mkrause exactly. The cheese needs time after it’s smoked. I use a FoodSaver 2000 but you can wrap them in Saran Wrap, put the in a plastic bag and refrigerate. Try them in 2 weeks, you will definitely taste the difference.

^What he said^ Give it time to absorb the smoke. Otherwise, all yer gonna taste on that first bite is smoke.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »
Does the smoker tube generate any heat?