Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ATC placement  (Read 2218 times)

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
ATC placement
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:39:19 AM »
I have a smartfire controller that I use on my 18 wsm. I'm pretty happy with it so far, the only thing i found to make it more effective was to place a shroud over the hole to direct the blower more towards the coals. I believe it's the same adapter that the bbq guru uses, basically a stainless pipe nipple that has two locknuts that secure it to the the bowl of the wsm. I have an extra adapter that I'd like to put on my 22" daisy wheeled midget and was just wondering what the best placement of it would be. IIRC on the wsm, they recommended placing it higher than the charcoal grate to prevent anything from falling into the adapter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Re: ATC placement
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:53:51 AM »
This is not the same as the BBQ Guru adapter. It looks more like the FlameBoss adapter except their's uses a stainless bowl to attach to the WSM so you don't have to drill a ho;e if you don't want to.

The BBQ Guru attaches differently. It only looks similar on the outside. The BBQ Guru has a deflector shield that prevents ash from entering plus directs the air under the charcoal where you want it. The Guru adapter also allows you to install it to a hole in your vent wheel versus having to punch a hole in the bowl.

I would be worried about ash if the air flow is pointed at the charcoals. The DIY fans i made as part of my DIY ATC project seemed to provide good airflow that was more diffused than directly pointed at the coals. Plus the flapper doors helped with the ash.

YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:59:36 AM »
The Guru adapter they sell for drums looks pretty close to that with no deflector.  They adapter they sell for older style kettles that attach to the daisy wheels uses the deflector.

I have used both, including a drum that had the adapter blowing right into the charcoal basket.  I like the idea of the deflector but I haven't really noticed a difference in performance.

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:39:34 PM »
The Guru adapter they sell for drums looks pretty close to that with no deflector.  They adapter they sell for older style kettles that attach to the daisy wheels uses the deflector.

I have used both, including a drum that had the adapter blowing right into the charcoal basket.  I like the idea of the deflector but I haven't really noticed a difference in performance.
I noticed a big difference when i put my "deflector" in place, it was mid-cook and it's just a "u" shaped piece of sheet metal i set on the charcoal grate right up against the adaptor hole.

So as far as the placement... would you guys pop it in right above the charcoal grate like i did in the wsm? Or could it go lower on a kettle?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:54:01 PM »
I can see where there would be a change if you made it mid-cook.  I usually set mine up when new and don't mess with it, just learn how it cooks and go from there. That being said, I have the "Weber" adapter on one of my kettles, and I like that has the deflector since I mount it below the grate in one of the intakes.

If I am making the hole, I try to stay just above the grate.  No chance of anything dropping into the adapter and into the fan.

I have used my guru mostly for drum cooking.  Completely unnecessary but it was a gift.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 02:44:19 AM »
The BBQ Guru universal mount and WSM mount are the same.

You could make a shroud out of foil and direct the air downward. I’m only familiar with the guru fans and you can throttle them down if you start to have a blowing ash situation. I run them on my BGE’s, Backwoods, Gateway clone and Cajun Bandit and run the fan at 25% during cooks

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!