Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Wings  (Read 4364 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Vortex Wings
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 07:08:57 AM »

I never do any less than 40-50 wings when I make them so I know I’ve had close to that but it also depends on the wings. I was using Costco wings for awhile and they are really small. Too small. I’ve since gone back to using sams club fresh whole wings and cutting them apart.

A buddy of mine gets gfs frozen jumbo wings that I will try out on my next wing cook.

I like the Sam's wings, too.  Usually 21 whole wings in the pack which gives you 42 wings to cook.  I'm just finishing up a pack from a local grocer. Only 14 wings in the family pack.  Getting ready to pull these bad boys off in about 10 minutes:

http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/image/fQ9  (pic woulldn't load)

BD

Those look fantastic. Perfect color. How do you do your foil?  It looks higher than the charcoal grate. I haven’t been using foil with the vortex because it seems like it would be hard to install. I will use it in a 2 zone arrangement because it is easy to lay a piece beside. I hadn’t quite figured out how to approach it aroun the vortex.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 11:55:36 AM »

Those look fantastic. Perfect color. How do you do your foil?  It looks higher than the charcoal grate. I haven’t been using foil with the vortex because it seems like it would be hard to install. I will use it in a 2 zone arrangement because it is easy to lay a piece beside. I hadn’t quite figured out how to approach it aroun the vortex.

I have an 18" x 500' roll of foil.  I tear off four pieces about a foot wide and just lay them in around the Vortex.  It's not perfect because I lite my chimney inside the kettle bowl and have nowhere to put it when lit except to dump it inside the Vortex.  I'
m just trying to keep the cleanup to a minimum.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »

I never do any less than 40-50 wings when I make them so I know I’ve had close to that but it also depends on the wings. I was using Costco wings for awhile and they are really small. Too small. I’ve since gone back to using sams club fresh whole wings and cutting them apart.

A buddy of mine gets gfs frozen jumbo wings that I will try out on my next wing cook.

I like the Sam's wings, too.  Usually 21 whole wings in the pack which gives you 42 wings to cook.  I'm just finishing up a pack from a local grocer. Only 14 wings in the family pack.  Getting ready to pull these bad boys off in about 10 minutes:

http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/image/fQ9  (pic woulldn't load)

BD

I have an 18" x 500' roll of foil.  I tear off four pieces about a foot wide and just lay them in around the Vortex.  It's not perfect because I lite my chimney inside the kettle bowl and have nowhere to put it when lit except to dump it inside the Vortex.  I'
m just trying to keep the cleanup to a minimum.

BD
16 thighs on a 26" kettle, medium Vortex and the "silver sombrero"!
[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
¡Ay, caramba!

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 07:24:09 PM »
I did my second batch of wings for New Year’s Day football (Roll Tide).  Picked up a GBS grate at HD and got it on sale for $26. Thanks for all the great advice, used foil to line the kettle around the vortex and tried to keep the temp around 450.  They came out less charred and there were not flames shooting out the top vent. Haha. 

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 07:44:45 PM »
Excellent looking wings! We like a bit of char at my house too.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 08:08:36 PM »
Those look amazing!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Bigmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 05:25:18 AM »
That’s some fine eating right there.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 05:27:32 AM »
Second batch looks perfect! 8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 06:24:37 AM »
I’ve loaded my performer to the max with wings using the vortex, and they turned out great! Just a little more work shifting the wings around, but it fed a lot of people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk