Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Wings  (Read 4363 times)

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
Vortex Wings
« on: November 28, 2017, 06:41:28 PM »
Cooked up my first batch of vortex wings.   I was skeptical at first but it really cranks out the heat.   I had flames coming out the lid vent at first. The temps were well over 600 at the lid thermometer on my G2Performer.  Let them go about 45 min and they were good and crispy.  Might have gone a little over but was putting kids to bed and lost track of time. Still made a fine meal.  The grate did loose its seasoning over the vortex but that is an easy fix.   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vortex Wings
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 10:05:51 PM »
Slightly charred, but they still look pretty good.  I have the vortex in my Amazon wishlist. 

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 11:14:23 PM »
Those look great!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

WMT

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 02:25:45 AM »
They look absolutely amazing.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 03:00:22 AM »
looks grate to me
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 05:53:22 AM »
Nice!  Always a crowd pleaser and fun to do.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »
Hot stuff!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »
Vortex can be brutal on the grates...I have grates that ONLY go there...Others that DON'T...

Wings look great....

Now start thinking about all the other things that will cook well around the "V"...

And remember that you can still control the temps with your vents...Makes a great cooker in the 450 range...

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 05:23:23 AM »
I just saw @Troy 's  video on the KFC Kettle Fried Chicken.  Looks like the GBS grate may be the way to go with the Vortex.   What is the max # of wings will fit around the Vortex on a standard 22" Kettle?  Anyone pushed the limits on # of wings?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 06:16:53 AM »
I kind of thought the GBS was the way to go with the center removed....until I got my Adrenaline BBQ EasySpin Grate.  I've done several hot vortex cooks with it and it shows no signs of wear and tear.  The nice thing about the EasySpin grate is that you don't have to reach over the vortex and burn off your arm hair to get to the food in the back, just spin the grate so that food is now in the front!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vortex Wings
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 06:39:19 AM »
I just saw @Troy 's  video on the KFC Kettle Fried Chicken.  Looks like the GBS grate may be the way to go with the Vortex.   What is the max # of wings will fit around the Vortex on a standard 22" Kettle?  Anyone pushed the limits on # of wings?

I’ve had 50 wings around the vortex on a 22 but it’s pretty crowded. It will cook up to 40 more comfortably imo.

I’ll still use the vortex if I’m busy, but I prefer a 2 zone set up that I can cook a combination of direct and indirect.  Direct cooked wings have a better flavor and texture imo.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 09:41:08 AM »
Vortex can be brutal on the grates...I have grates that ONLY go there...Others that DON'T...

Wings look great....

Now start thinking about all the other things that will cook well around the "V"...

And remember that you can still control the temps with your vents...Makes a great cooker in the 450 range...

^^What He Said^^

The Vortex is a wing cookin' machine. And 450 is the magic number. Use your vents. And yes, the wings look GRATE!!

Ya' gotta try pork chops around the V... bone side toward the V. Flip once. 450 works...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:44:51 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 12:40:48 PM »
At my house, we like like with a little char on them.  Those about perfect ! ! !

If @HoosierKettle can get 50 on a 22", I am waaaay impressed.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vortex Wings
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 12:58:45 PM »
At my house, we like like with a little char on them.  Those about perfect ! ! !

If @HoosierKettle can get 50 on a 22", I am waaaay impressed.

BD

I never do any less than 40-50 wings when I make them so I know I’ve had close to that but it also depends on the wings. I was using Costco wings for awhile and they are really small. Too small. I’ve since gone back to using sams club fresh whole wings and cutting them apart.

A buddy of mine gets gfs frozen jumbo wings that I will try out on my next wing cook.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »

I never do any less than 40-50 wings when I make them so I know I’ve had close to that but it also depends on the wings. I was using Costco wings for awhile and they are really small. Too small. I’ve since gone back to using sams club fresh whole wings and cutting them apart.

A buddy of mine gets gfs frozen jumbo wings that I will try out on my next wing cook.

I like the Sam's wings, too.  Usually 21 whole wings in the pack which gives you 42 wings to cook.  I'm just finishing up a pack from a local grocer. Only 14 wings in the family pack.  Getting ready to pull these bad boys off in about 10 minutes:

http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/image/fQ9  (pic woulldn't load)

BD
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:47:32 PM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna