Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WKC Asians  (Read 12327 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
WKC Asians
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 05:05:21 AM »
While the experts are assembled here in one spot, I have a question. I generally stir fry using a protein, veggies, and bok Choi. I start with a little vegetable oil and salt and pepper, then halfway through I’ll add soy, sesame oil and whatever other liquid stir fry sauce. My problem is that the dish ends up a little watery by the time the veggies cook down. Do you guys add a corn starch water mixture at the end?

Maybe this is a hard question to answer as my method is probably completely flawed to someone who knows stir fry. Steer me in the right direction please.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: WKC Asians
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 05:16:22 AM »
My stir fry game is pretty lame but i was under the impression you cooked the meat, removed it, then did veggies, then added back the meat. I left out details because I'm clueless about it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
WKC Asians
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 06:23:45 AM »
I’m not an expert, but I do a fair amount of stir frying, and I’ve found the key is having everything prepped in advance.  Try marinating your thinly sliced meat with your soy, sesame oil mixture, S&P, etc before you starting frying.  Start with a hot pan and let your oil heat up before starting with your aromatics, then your marinated proteins, and then your veggies.  I tend not to remove my protein once it’s already in, but I understand the reasoning; to avoid over cooking.  I’m just mindful of the type of veggie I’m cooking.  Those that need to cook longer go in earlier (even if that means preceding, or in tandem with, your meat).  Once the veggies are in, I give a quick toss and then cover briefly to get some steaming action and draw out liquid from the veggies.  At that point I turn off the heat, add a small amount of cornstarch-water mixture and stir to thicken (it doesn’t take much). Start to finish is definitely less than 10 minutes. 

I may have to take some better pics next time I’m woking, but here’s the Weber GBS wok in action using a lid from a le cresuet wok. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:32:35 AM by Mr.CPHo »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 07:10:10 AM »
While the experts are assembled here in one spot, I have a question. I generally stir fry using a protein, veggies, and bok Choi. I start with a little vegetable oil and salt and pepper, then halfway through I’ll add soy, sesame oil and whatever other liquid stir fry sauce. My problem is that the dish ends up a little watery by the time the veggies cook down. Do you guys add a corn starch water mixture at the end?

Maybe this is a hard question to answer as my method is probably completely flawed to someone who knows stir fry. Steer me in the right direction please.

Wok or flat pan? This sounds like a heat issue. Stir fry is best on a big rounded bottom wok with the heat turned up. The wok should also be thin and heat dissipating, not thick and heavy cast iron. Reason being is that you want to have the capability to have the bottom part of the pan searing hot while the sides are less hot. Your vegetables won’t burn if you’re tossing them properly but your liquid will burn off. Corn starch is optional if you want to have a thicker sauce.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
WKC Asians
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
Thanks guys.  I just bought a wok a few months ago. An inexpensive carbon steel wok. What a difference that has made. I previously used various skillets. The wok heats up quickly and my fried rice actually tastes like fried rice. I’ve been using it on the gas range. I haven’t tried the kettle yet but I’m sure 2 baskets of kit coal under it would be way hotter than my gas range. I’ve been happy overall with my stir fry results but I still have a lot to learn. The juices along with all the flavor “rinse” the food in the stir fry and settle to the bottom. I will definitely give a little corn starch a try next time. Here is a picture of my last stir fry to give an idea. As you can see, all of the sauce and flavor settles without sticking to the food.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:30:46 AM by HoosierKettle »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
WKC Asians
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 08:44:52 AM »
Thanks guys.  I just bought a wok a few months ago. An inexpensive carbon steel wok. What a difference that has made. I previously used various skillets. The wok heats up quickly and my fried rice actually tastes like fried rice. I’ve been using it on the gas range. I haven’t tried the kettle yet but I’m sure 2 baskets of kit coal under it would be way hotter than my gas range. I’ve been happy overall with my stir fry results but I still have a lot to learn. The juices along with all the flavor “rinse” the food in the stir fry and settle to the bottom. I will definitely give a little corn starch a try next time. Here is a picture of my last stir fry to give an idea. As you can see, all of the sauce and flavor settles without sticking to the food.

That looks good.  The only improvement you can do is to use corn/tapioca starch. The starch will make the sauce thicker causing it to adhere to the food  instead of settling at bottom of the wok.  The only problem of using charcoal on the kettle for stir frying  is that you don't have temp/flame control  other than lifting the wok above or away from the kettle. I'll post tips on wok stir frying later on today so stay tuned.

JV
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:54:42 AM by Jules V. »

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 10:19:26 AM »

I love food , but only as long as there is no bones I have to pick though any what ever I'm eating isn't staring back at me....just freaks me out lol. My ex girlfriend was Indian, Chinese and Portuguese, she turned me onto curry and Indian foods. My current wife is also half Indian but her dad died when she was 16( he was the Indian half) and he didn't cook. But I love all curry so far. And so far I'm boring when it comes to "real" Asian food. I think if I were to travel that if fare far better in Japan then other Asian areas.
“My current wife”
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 10:23:28 AM »
Half Filipino here.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 09:07:10 PM »
I have Filipino relatives. My aunt's pancit is incredible. They also turned me onto soy-vinegar marinade for pork and chicken -- it's one of my favorite ways to marinade.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
WKC Asians
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 10:15:35 AM »
Ex wife was from Laos and my daughter is half Laos. Thai is my absolute favorite food and Asian food in general is my favorite type of food. Love the sweet , spicy , and fresh flavors. Tom ka soup is probably my most favorite dish .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 10:21:40 AM »
Ex wife was from Laos and my daughter is half Laos. Thai is my absolute favorite food and Asian food in general is my favorite type of food. Love the sweet , spicy , and fresh flavors. Tom ka soup is probably my most favorite dish .

I really like exploring Laos restaurants. Around here there are a lot of Laos/Thai restaurants and they don't mess around with their spicy levels. Event the papaya salads are very spicy.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »

I really like exploring Laos restaurants. Around here there are a lot of Laos/Thai restaurants and they don't mess around with their spicy levels. Event the papaya salads are very spicy.
no doubt but so good. Her parents owned a crab shop and all the older ladies would make fresh papaya, sticky rice , beef jerky , and a bunch of other dishes daily for lunch. Love how they all came together to share a meal like that daily . Those sweet ladies made some of the best food I’ll ever eat.

GillingNoob757

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 07:19:55 PM »
Fillipino here, married to an Italian and we have three kids together. =D Recently made pork adobo and thought about BBQ'in them. But wifey gave me the "look" @_@ Oh well, maybe next time.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 07:22:20 PM »
Fillipino here, married to an Italian and we have three kids together. =D Recently made pork adobo and thought about BBQ'in them. But wifey gave me the "look" @_@ Oh well, maybe next time.

Marinade in adobo sauce, grill meat on the kettle, reduce the marinade to sauce. Delicious! Works well for chicken too!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 10:10:06 PM »
Great post ...

My favorite cuisine is Korean, think JJampong and Bibimbap more than Bulgogi.

My second favorite is Chinese, Thai, Cambodian, Indian, Japanese, Filipino and Vietnamese.  In any order  ...  I love 'em all.

Love to cook these at home w/ my Wok.  Usually twice a week.  Last week, after that turkey & ham feast on Thursday, I made Pad Thai one day and Chicken and Black Bean Sauce on another. 

My method is to prep everything before hand, including the Marinade and the cooking sauce.  I usually put corn starch in the cooking sauce to aid in thickening.

Put the wok on the fire ring, heat it until water dances, add ELOO (not EVOO) or avocado oil, and then add the "aromatics". (aromatics: garlic, ginger, scallions, etc.).  Stir fry for around 30 seconds then add the protein.  Stir fry that until it's about 80% done and remove it all to a bowl.  Add a little more oil, stir fry any delicates like eggs etc., again only about 80% done and put them in the bowl.

Now, the final plunge, start with the veggies that take the longest to cook.  Once they get going, in goes the next longest, and so forth until all reach the 80% done spot.

Now you can add back in the protein (and delicates), stir fry for a minute, move it all to the edge of the wok, add the cooking sauce into the bottom of the wok and bring it to a boil.

Finally, stir fry everything together, turn off the fire and serve over rice or noodles.

I never overcook the vegetables, since Mrs SJ and I like them on the crisp side.  I can't say that I've ever had an abundance to juice from veggies, but I don't let them spend much time on the fire ring.

Did I mention we love chicken adobo   ...   so easy and sooooooo tasty.

SJ

"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".