Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Handle screw sizes/type?  (Read 1826 times)

kevtannt

• Happy Cooker
Handle screw sizes/type?
« on: November 19, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
I'm looking to overhaul the hardware with stainless steel ones on my Weber grill handles.

Would you guys happen to know the correct size for the screw/type/threads?

I'm located in Canada and wasn't able to find the correct sizes at my local Home Depot/Rona/Lowe's.

I'm thinking if I know the right size, I can order them from somewhere online like Ace Hardware or elsewhere.
http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2627513&cp=2568443.2568451.2626209.2627479

One thing I did notice was that I believe the handle screws are wood screws without a sharp-point, but seems like all the wood screws available come with sharp tips - I wonder if this would damage the plastic or wood (Zav's handles) handles.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Handle screw sizes/type?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 03:37:44 AM »

I honestly do not see the need to use SS for the handles, but it's your cooker, so go for it if that's what you want.

Yes, the wood screws that are used do have a sharp tip.  Are you looking to replace both wood screws and the screws for the plastic / nylon handles ??

I have found wood screws at my local Lowe's that were the same size, albeit, they were Robertson (square) head, not Phillips.  I think they are zinc coated.

As far as replacing the other screws, those might be tougher to find.

You might want to check your local Home Hardware store.  I find that they carry stuff that the big box stores do not.  Good luck!

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Handle screw sizes/type?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
A sheet metal screw might work, although plastic handles might not "give" as easily as wood handles might, when having to create new threads since the pitch will be different.

The point shouldn't matter so long as you aren't buying screws that are too long. For that matter, you might investigate composite decking screws, or even drywall screws if you don't need the pan head shape.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch