Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roasts, 'pork shots' & fatty  (Read 2661 times)

Nut

• Happy Cooker
Roasts, 'pork shots' & fatty
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:29:41 AM »
So, last Saturday I got going with some stuff  :)

For my 1st fatty, I didn’t have a chance to go find some pork sausage, so instead I used minced beef. Filled it with onion, garlic, bell pepper and Mexican spiced cheese.

As for the pork shots, I filled them with a 50/50 mix of cane sugar & my pork rub (Meathead's Memphis Dust). Didn’t have a chance for final pictures on those they were devoured as soon as they came off!

As for the "roast", I had gotten some “chuck”… at least it was some Polish meat that said it was chuck. I did two roasts with 2 different rubs. I wanted to produce “pulled” beef, but that didn’t work. Got one roast off at 185 & the other at 205, but no chance for pulling, so I sliced instead. The 205 roast was slightly dry, the 185 one was more moist. They were incredibly tasty. Both had been foiled at 160-165. The smaller one (2.6lb) with a beef broth, the other (3.5lb) with peppers, onion, garlic, Worcestershire and Guinness. I was with some friends that (unfortunately) like their meat ‘well done’, so they liked it. I liked the taste, but had I planned to slice I’d at least had gotten one off at around 140… ah well…

Wet Rub:

After 2˝ hours:

Finished:

Sliced:

It all tasted great.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Roasts, 'pork shots' & fatty
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:39:16 AM »
Wow, you got a beautiful smoke ring on that roast. Pulled or not, I bet it tasted great!
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:04:37 AM »
everything looks great!!

i haven't made a fatty in months. i need to get crackin!!

Nut

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 08:08:19 AM »
Thanks, yes, it was real tasty.

I had my OTG running at 225-235 for the 1st hour (with a bread pan filled with water over the Smokenator), then removed the water and run around 250-280 for the remainder of the cook.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:37:22 AM »
Ummmm ....that roast is really raw.  It is totally unsafe to eat. 

:P :P  :P
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Vermin99

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
Everything looks great and I don't know if I have ever seen a bigger smoke ring, well done!!

Nut

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 02:48:53 AM »
Yea, happy about the smoke ring...

It wouldn't be my choice to cook "well done", but this was a failed try for 'pulled beef'... but as a failure it was pretty tasty.

I'm sure I'll do a 'proper' roast one day  ;)