Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: $10 Taco special.  (Read 3146 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
$10 Taco special.
« on: October 27, 2017, 11:49:33 AM »
Got tired of burning my hands on the handle of my designated high heat grill so i picked up an OTS for $10 and took out the damper and taco handle  to use on my copper kettle.

Installed a ss plate between the lid and handle.

ss nuts and 1" fender washer.

JV
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:46:25 AM by Jules V. »

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: $10 Taco special.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
Got tired of burning my hands on the handle of my designated high heat grill so i picked up an OTS for $10 and took out the damper and taco handle  to use on my copper kettle.

I think this is the 1st time I've heard of anyone removing a welded handle to replace it with the taco handle.

...and here I am with a taco-handle copper lid wishing I had a welded handle on it.  Doh!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »
@Bob BQ
More of a compromise when it comes to a taco or welded handle. The taco is not the most pleasant thing to look at but it serves its purpose by means of much cooler handle. Welded looks much more elegant but  i just couldn't  stand the rust that develops around the weld spots especially when exposed to extreme temperature.

JV

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 02:19:27 PM »
Wondering if you could have more simply done something like the cut-down beer can that someone here used a taco shield. was that @weldboy or @HoosierKettle ?

I'm contemplating a stealth heat shield, like an ash catcher plate attached to the underside of a lid, with maybe an inch to so spacing. It would easy to do for a taco-handled lid

Of course, the best hand protection against heat remains a wood handle for the lid.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
$10 Taco special.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 02:28:31 PM »
I had made one before  out of 16 gage ss plate but i bolted it to the lid. Was too lazy to fabricate one in which it would be fastened to the bottom of the lid handle just above the weld area.

JV
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:46:47 AM by Jules V. »

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »
Wondering if you could have more simply done something like the cut-down beer can that someone here used a taco shield. was that @weldboy or @HoosierKettle ?

I'm contemplating a stealth heat shield, like an ash catcher plate attached to the underside of a lid, with maybe an inch to so spacing. It would easy to do for a taco-handled lid

Of course, the best hand protection against heat remains a wood handle for the lid.
Wasn't me but that's a great idea though

Sent from my SM-G892A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
Not me. Hellfiregrill made one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 04:02:16 PM »
Thanks!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 07:21:30 PM »
Its what happens when I'm left home alone with a half rack of talls...and a pair of scissors.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/if-you-hate-the-taco-this-will-really-burn-your-biscuit!/msg314566/#msg314566
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 05:09:05 AM »
The handle will still get hot if you have everything wide open and a big pile of lit coals inside (in a large basket or SNS)...just not as hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app