Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best Grill for Camping?  (Read 6329 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Best Grill for Camping?
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »
I will be on the road with family for a month next year, camping the entire way.  This will be car/mini camper camping, not backpack camping.  Which grill would be best....GA Gas, GA Charcoal, Q, or SJ?  I own none of these.

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Best Grill for Camping?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:44:39 AM »
I know this is the weber kettle club but if it were me, I would be taking my Q100.

Second place would be the smokey Joe but I would need to take my tamale pot so I can do some smoking
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 10:52:05 AM »
We love cooking on our SJ when we go camping.  It's a little awkward packing it in the back of the Grand Cherokee vs a rectangle like the GA, but it's a great cooker.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 11:02:37 AM »
If you have the space the newer JJ is great.   Large enough to feed a family or do indirect and sides.  I love mine.  Std charcoal basket fits between the grates.  Does not take up much more space than a SJG.   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 11:41:57 AM »
I've carted around my JJ to a couple camping events, with the matching Weber table, it's great. I think it offers the most flexibility of any of Weber's portables. I think if you search this site for some JJ cooking examples you'll be convinced. The added ability to accept some regular 18 attachments like 3rd party smoker and rotisserie rings adds even more options.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
If you have the space the newer JJ is great.   Large enough to feed a family or do indirect and sides.  I love mine.  Std charcoal basket fits between the grates.  Does not take up much more space than a SJG.   

Which jumbo joe?  walmart special?  or the traditional jj with tabletop legs?  i likely would not have space for the jj premium (walmart).  but, yes, i would have space for the traditional jj.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 11:47:43 AM »
I've carted around my JJ to a couple camping events, with the matching Weber table, it's great. I think it offers the most flexibility of any of Weber's portables. I think if you search this site for some JJ cooking examples you'll be convinced. The added ability to accept some regular 18 attachments like 3rd party smoker and rotisserie rings adds even more options.

thank you @addicted-to-smoke .  i will consider this set- up along with the others, for sure. 

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 11:48:30 AM »
Traditional. 

Here are some picts for scale. If you have the storage space.   

I also like the GA and SJ but grill space limits your fuel setup and cooking space.  Really depends on how many you will be feeding and foods you want to grill.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »
Yeah that JJ Premium at Wal-Mart, being a 22, takes up about as much space as a proper 22, so forget that*.

That being said, you know some guys here have made midgets out of a 22 (or regular 18 for that matter) by going with short legs and sometimes ditching the triangle and wheels also. You'd need to have more room for the bigger bowl, but you'd then save other space by being able to pack more supplies inside of it.

You have options!

* Did you catch my flawed logic above? You could also turn  a JJ Premium into a portable the same way the full size 22 or 18 is done, and you'd save a little space compared to them.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 12:17:45 PM »
I love my jumbo joe but a month of camping I would bring Weber Q as well.  Firing up the charcoal for that long of a trip and for breakfast could start to be difficult.  Especially with hungry kids. 

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »
Any plans on a Coleman style gas stove as well?   If this is a single solution grill then I would agree with a Q.  They have been all over CL & FB used lately.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 01:09:18 PM »
I agree. The jj is perfect and if you have a small space for a backup, the cga is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 01:48:04 PM »
Any plans on a Coleman style gas stove as well?   If this is a single solution grill then I would agree with a Q.  They have been all over CL & FB used lately.

We are considering all options.  The camper comes with a one burner butane camp stove.  We are a family of 5.  Will be logging 6500 miles.  So, the one burner stove, isn't going to cut it.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »
Sound like an adventure.    Good luck!  Need some cook picts from the road. 

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 04:40:10 PM »
Traveling with a pit always comes down to cargo space. I have hauled my 22 around. If there is room a 18 is nice. You can take the legs off, and store stuff inside it. Use foil to catch grease and residue from brushing grates after cook and wrap ashes to throw away.  I have a companion group half circle stainless griddle made for a 22 that I can put on my Coleman propane stove. Has hot spots, but responds almost instantly burner adjustments and you can move food around easily. It's fun to cook on with a good spatula. Easy to clean hot with a little water and scrape off with the spatula. I have done bacon, hamburgers, boxed hash browns, grilled sandwiches. and the griddle isn't that heavy.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:02:23 PM by TD »