Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork steaks  (Read 1650 times)

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Pork steaks
« on: October 28, 2017, 05:12:31 PM »
Tried a Malcom Reed recipe he recently did tonight on my C&B Blue  SSP  . Went to my butcher and had him cut me some 1 1/4 thick pork steaks. Seasoned them with Its Incredible and Killer Hogs. Smoked for a hour with peach and pecan , then wrapped with butter and honey till 190. While I was getting the SnS ready for searing , I covered the steaks in his new vinegar sauce and made some duck fat steak fries. Melted 3 tbsp of duck fat and brushed the fries. Seasoned the fries with  Its Incredible and rosemary. Pulled the fries from the oven and seared the steaks for a minute or two per side. Very good meal and his new vinegar sauce is money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:14:28 PM by wessonjb »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pork steaks
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »
Shells and cheese and duck fat steak fries. Drop the mic. The pork steaks are just the icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »
Shells and cheese and duck fat steak fries. Drop the mic. The pork steaks are just the icing on the cake.

First time having duck fat fries and was blown away. Found a jar on amazon and ordered it with the idea of searing steaks with it. Buddy told me about the fries and glad he did.

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 07:36:17 PM »
You had me at thick-cut pork steaks. Then you blew me away with duck-fat steak fries. Nice.
Do you have a closer pic of those fries??
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Pork steaks
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 07:45:22 PM »
You had me at thick-cut pork steaks. Then you blew me away with duck-fat steak fries. Nice.

Had great texture. Didn’t flip them while cooking and glad i didn’t. The top had a nice crust and the bottom a little soft from the duck fat. Little duck fat goes along way too. Used 3 tbsp and next time will only use 1-2.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 07:48:06 PM by wessonjb »

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 08:01:44 PM »
Nice. I bet those were incredible.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:07:13 PM »
Looks incredible!  Heard good things about duck fat.  Need to try it.  Also need to give your wrap method a try. 

Did some myself this evening.  Seared at 180.  Taters with olive oil was OK.   Jealous of yours. The pan I have does a good job of all around crispness.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 08:06:21 AM »
Looks incredible!  Heard good things about duck fat.  Need to try it.  Also need to give your wrap method a try. 

Did some myself this evening.  Seared at 180.  Taters with olive oil was OK.   Jealous of yours. The pan I have does a good job of all around crispness.

Normally I do thin cut pork steaks. Not sure wrapping would be beneficial. These where 1 1/4 thick . The end product was good , but prefer thin and hot and fast Cooking. The duck fat fries was delicious and definitely worth doing.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 12:07:01 PM »

Had great texture. Didn’t flip them while cooking and glad i didn’t. The top had a nice crust and the bottom a little soft from the duck fat. Little duck fat goes along way too. Used 3 tbsp and next time will only use 1-2.

The duck fat was only for the fries, right? So did you just put a little in that tray and more or less fry them or bake for a while?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »

The duck fat was only for the fries, right? So did you just put a little in that tray and more or less fry them or bake for a while?
Yeah fries only. Melted 3 tbsp and brushed the fries with it and then seasoned. Left over I drizzled in the pan. Baked in the oven . Recipe called for potatoes cut into 1/4 wedges length wise. Was lazy and used store bought steak fries. Duck fat goes along way and doesn’t disappear like olive oil or other oils. Could’ve use 1-2 tbsp and been plenty.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »
Tried a Malcom Reed recipe he recently did tonight on my C&B Blue  SSP  . Went to my butcher and had him cut me some 1 1/4 thick pork steaks. Seasoned them with Its Incredible and Killer Hogs. Smoked for a hour with peach and pecan , then wrapped with butter and honey till 190. While I was getting the SnS ready for searing , I covered the steaks in his new vinegar sauce and made some duck fat steak fries. Melted 3 tbsp of duck fat and brushed the fries. Seasoned the fries with  Its Incredible and rosemary. Pulled the fries from the oven and seared the steaks for a minute or two per side. Very good meal and his new vinegar sauce is money.

Love duck fat fries. Look up Hot Doug’s in Chicago. Unfortunately they are no more. I have discovered the wonder that is an air fryer. Going to have to get some duck fat.
Still need a 22” yellow