Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first Q- A little grimy 200 but rust free grate and burner  (Read 5468 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
My first Q- A little grimy 200 but rust free grate and burner
« on: October 28, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »
Came with a usable but faded stand and propane gas connection.

This is a 200, correct?
Can anyone pass along a link to a definitive Q cleaning guide?
I'd appreciate any tips from you die hard. The black all around it is a bit faded but she's got good bones.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My first Q- A little grimy 200 but rust free grate and burner
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 12:58:46 PM »
Didn't take you long o' impatient one
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »
Didn't take you long o' impatient one
Jonesing to clean it.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 01:50:38 PM »
I maintain two Q's that came new and find the plastic putty blade that you can get at Lowes or HD for about a dollar works great at scrapping the bottom clean, it should work on the top also. It helps to spray with orange ZEP first and let sit for awhile. For the grates if they are porcelain I would not scape then with anything regardless of what weber says. I find that if I let them sit in the sink overnight in soap and water, in the morning I drain the sink and all the crap comes off with a sponge and steel wool pad. Just cover in hot water and soap and let sit overnight. I found that you have clean the bottom of these grates because there are wide sections that accumulate grease and carbon, you want to keep the bottom clean also. After several years my grates still look like new.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:53:53 PM by BBQ Jack »

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 03:46:55 PM »

I maintain two Q's that came new and find the plastic putty blade that you can get at Lowes or HD for about a dollar works great at scrapping the bottom clean, it should work on the top also. It helps to spray with orange ZEP first and let sit for awhile. For the grates if they are porcelain I would not scape then with anything regardless of what weber says. I find that if I let them sit in the sink overnight in soap and water, in the morning I drain the sink and all the crap comes off with a sponge and steel wool pad. Just cover in hot water and soap and let sit overnight. I found that you have clean the bottom of these grates because there are wide sections that accumulate grease and carbon, you want to keep the bottom clean also. After several years my grates still look like new.

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
My first Q- A little grimy 200 but rust free grate and burner
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
I spent about an hour and a half on it this evening. Unfortunately it’s pretty cool out so I don’t have any warm water to soak the lid in. The bottom half that was seriously encrusted in greasy grime cleaned up pretty good with a plastic scraper. The burner tube came out really nice and shiny.

The  underside of the lid is caked on pretty good though.  Going to need to attack that another time.  On the top of the lid there are a few stubborn marks but it looks pretty good. 

The grate is also in excellent shape.

Taking it apart to clean it, I can see why a kettle person could completely appreciate and fall in love with this grill.  It’s simple plug and play.

I think I’m going to clean it up a little better and flip it and then buy a nicer one.  This will be an excellent grill for someone.  I’m quite sure I’ll be able to find a little nicer unit for not a lot more money and seeing how well they are built that little extra money is negligible over the time of ownership.

I’d recommend one of these to anyone before any other shiny $250 grill from Sears that will inevitably fall apart after a couple years.  Pics tomorrow.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:26:22 PM by captjoe06 »

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 02:55:32 PM »
New is much better. All the Q's are great. I found when looking at this that for a small amount more the q3200 gave the most value if your not looking to go camping with it. Having the 2 burners on the 3200 makes a big difference. The q1200 I got for free later on. If you take care of them they will last a long time, they do not rust.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 03:03:43 PM »

New is much better. All the Q's are great. I found when looking at this that for a small amount more the q3200 gave the most value if your not looking to go camping with it. Having the 2 burners on the 3200 makes a big difference. The q1200 I got for free later on. If you take care of them they will last a long time, they do not rust.

I’ve checked out all three sizes and for our situation The 2200/200 series seems like the sweet spot. It would be rare that I’d be cooking for more than what would fit on the 200 and if I had that kind of time It would be cooking on a kettle/Performer.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 04:36:18 PM »
... The underside of the lid is caked on pretty good though.  Going to need to attack that another time.  ...

Not sure I'd bother. Being aluminum, the char is gonna sorta "embed" in a way that of course wouldn't happen on a porcelain steel surface.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't try to clean it, just note that it'll inherently be black and "charred looking" pretty much all the time.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 09:17:19 AM »
Clean up and first cook pics-

https://youtu.be/baY6gPRL7rg

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 09:34:48 AM »
I would not have expected anything less from @captjoe06
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 11:19:13 AM »
YES PLEASE
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
That really cleaned up pretty well. Be right over for my sandwich

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »
That's so funny....mine looked just like this and it cleaned up pretty good (actually, mine was about 3x worse).  Are you sure that's not my grill?

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
I'm really looking forward to getting another one for the house.  I'll probably keep this one for the dock.