Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Found old Q in my garage  (Read 2286 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Found old Q in my garage
« on: October 24, 2017, 11:28:53 AM »
I am the guy who ordered the Cubs Q for $100 because I wanted a decent gas grill for my wife.  Well, guess what? Just around the day the Cubs grill came,  I remembered that I had bought a Q years ago, and couldn't for the life of me remember what happened to it, ie sold, gave away, lost, etc.  I went searching and found it in the attic of my garage !  It's got to be one of the original ones, because once I found it, I remembered that one of my clients collected money from me and bought himself, me, and my business partner one at Sam's Club or Costco, and it was a big deal because it was a great price on a new product.   Plus we used it for the first time at a college football game, and I remember my 18 year old daughter being pretty young at that game.

I have spent several hours cleaning the crud, and I think I still have a little ways to go.  I think I messed up the underside of the lid a little because I used a metal putty knife, and put a few scatches in it, then switched to a plastic putty knife. Cosmetic, but still stupid!  One thing not working all the way is the burner.  It starts up in a little section, and I can get more of it to come on if I go around it with a click lighter, but even once it's lit as much as possible, there are still a couple of spots without flames.  I scrubbed the burner pretty well to no avail, so do I just get a new burner, or do I try to find something like a toothpick to see if I can unclog holes in the burner?

If I do end up getting a burner, does anyone know which one I need? 

I promise to post some pics once I get her straight.  The grates have a couple of rust spots, but look to be in good shape
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:31:01 AM by namtrag »

SixZeroFour

Re: Found old Q in my garage
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:37:42 AM »
A sewing needle works well for the burner orifices... either that or a very small drill bit should fix the burner issue. While cleaning, remove it completely from the grill and make sure there are no spiderwebs etc anywhere inside the tube. You should be able to give it a little knock and all the junk will fall out the end of the burner tube.

Good luck! It should work good as new once sorted [emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »
Thanks,  I am looking forward to getting it back to working great!

Then we can save the Cubs one to use in our RV which we don't have yet lol

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 05:47:10 PM »
I recommend a welding tip or orifice cleaner set for like $10 from the hardware store, Tractor Supply etc. These are also frequently used to clean out carburetor jets and passages. They'll have a very slight crosshatch "file" roughness to them, specifically for this kind of work.

Or just use a 1/8" drill bit and be able to sear steaks a foot above the grate!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 12:56:53 AM »
I would use the new one and save the old one for the RV that you do not have yet.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 05:51:59 AM »
I recommend a welding tip or orifice cleaner set for like $10 from the hardware store, Tractor Supply etc. These are also frequently used to clean out carburetor jets and passages. They'll have a very slight crosshatch "file" roughness to them, specifically for this kind of work.

Or just use a 1/8" drill bit and be able to sear steaks a foot above the grate!

So you'd just hold the steak with a pair of tongs, kind of like making s'mores!

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 05:53:11 AM »
I would use the new one and save the old one for the RV that you do not have yet.

That's not a bad idea.  We will have to compare them once I get the Cubs one put together.  It seemed smaller at a glance, so that's why we were thinking it could be for the RV. But if they are the same size, or close, we might do like you suggest.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 03:24:20 PM »
Either way enjoy, we just finished a steak grilled on the Q1200 and it was great. 

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 05:32:29 PM »
Ive got the Q220 for the back porch and a Q1000 for the camper.  You will love them.  Cast aluminum, and cast iron grates, and the burner is easily replaced.  Check amazon for replacement burners.  Ive had the Q220 for 5 years and have replaced the burner twice.  You can clean the burner but eventually the holes will rust out and let the flames get too big.  It is easy enough just  to replace (1 bolt), so if its that far gone just grab another. 

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 08:03:48 AM »
Well, I finally got the old Q working...I am guessing it's a Q200?   It looks identical to the one in the other thread that CaptJoe started.

Anyway, the burner works 100%, and all I had to do was take a sewing needle to the holes and get the crud out.  It took several hours to get the grime off the grill, and there are still some greasy spots, but she cooks great now.  My wife inagurated the grill back into our rotation by making pizzas Friday night using Trader Joe's premade dough.  It was some good pizza.  I will try to get a pic next time we cook on her. 

Sinced the old Q is back to life, we just put the Cubs grill together, and then stuck it back in the box to hold for future RV use. 

I am thinking now about whether to modify her by putting in a thermometer.  It looks like it would be pretty easy.  Or do I just leave her in the original condition?  Decisions, decisions.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:05:49 AM by namtrag »