Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: So It All Boils Down To...........  (Read 3837 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
So It All Boils Down To...........
« on: October 20, 2017, 06:50:40 AM »
I have been a member of this forum for a short time compared to most of you in here.  I have learned a lot from all the posts and this is a true knowledge base, especially for new grillers.

After all is said and done, I have concluded that outdoor cooking is really just a matter of temperature control and timing. No matter what grill you have .....or accessories....or hacked versions of this and that....a great meal can come off the grill if you do it correctly. And some of that comes from experience.....that of others as well as ourselves.  I love to see creative uses of unexpected items to get the job done. And in the end the proof is on the plate. And that is the whole point, right?

Loving everything about this forum. Have been grilling all season and enjoying our family meals even though I have not been taking pics as much as I used to. Happy grilling everyone!  Not looking forward to putting my grill in the shed for the winter....hoping the cold and snow stay away for a long while.

EricD

• WKC Brave
Re: So It All Boils Down To...........
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:11:25 AM »
Totally agree with everything above....EXCEPT putting the grill away.  Gotta grill all winter!!
I've cooked some "non traditional" grill items outside.   When people ask I just tell them that grills are just outside ovens. Anything you cook inside can be down outside!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
So It All Boils Down To...........
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:17:16 AM »
Clarissa,
I can only speak for myself in saying that I have enjoyed your posts and photos of your cooks!
I also have learned that a little help from our WKC friends goes a long way to make a wonderful meal for our family.
This is the best group of people I have ever known and the out pouring of fellowship / love for cooking and caring for each other is just unbelievable.
It makes me proud to be part of the WKC family.

As far putting you grill away for the winter... DON’T DO IT if you don’t have to! With a few changes in time and temp you can enjoy a good barbecue meal even in the dead of winter.
It’s just another season of learning! You learn everyday and every time you cook.. even if it does not turn out as you planned.
With all that said.. winter is coming and fast, grab your coat and Grill On !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:18:50 AM by vwengguy »

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 08:04:36 AM »
I agree. Grilling is not a seasonal thing. Rain, sleet, snow, or shine, it's always grilling time.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 08:21:55 AM »
I actually enjoy grilling in the snow.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
For sure all of the above. No need to put the kettle away for the winter. Of course, you don't have to be out in a below zero blizzard but there will be some beautiful, low wind, sunny days for grilling. Like Dc_smoke I enjoy grilling in the snow. 
May The Smoke Be With You!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
Watching the snow and ice melt off of a kettle you fire up is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 02:29:41 PM »
@clarissa, all good points.  While my dad's family was all in So. Philly, mom's family started in Fishtown, then they all settled up in the Bensalem, South Hampton areas up to the Hulmeville, so I'm kinda familiar with those winters.  They can be pretty brutal.  With a little planning, though, you might be able to make through most of it. 

Keep Grillin' ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 02:54:48 PM »
Totally agree with everything above....EXCEPT putting the grill away.  Gotta grill all winter!!
I've cooked some "non traditional" grill items outside.   When people ask I just tell them that grills are just outside ovens. Anything you cook inside can be down outside!
+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 03:56:41 AM »
Wait.....people put grills away for the winter? 

Why not just use it THROUGH the winter?

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 04:19:02 PM »
Thank you everyone for the encouragement to keep grilling thru the winter.  I surely will give it a try and go as far as I can before the dead of winter. The big thing for me is not getting rust or damage to it from the cold and freezing elements. And you never know....we might get a mild one this year. And I guess I should stock up on coals a bit if I will do winter cooks.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »
Use a not so loved kettle for the winter and store the nicer ones . I have a normal black 22” that sits on my deck all year long . Rain, snow , sun, -10 degrees whatever it may be . If I’m in the mood for meat . I’m grillin !!!! [emoji108]

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 05:21:22 PM »
clarissa, I think you'll age your grills more from summer use than from winter use. There's less humidity in winter to cause rust. Cold temps won't be an issue. Grill on!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 08:09:04 PM »
Tell me more about this "winter" you speak of ;)
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 09:01:13 PM »
The cold intake will make your charcoal burn hotter.

JV