Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow ‘n Sear and rotisserie  (Read 2617 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Slow ‘n Sear and rotisserie
« on: October 16, 2017, 11:49:22 AM »
I got my Slow ‘n Sear Plus now for a few weeks and it has been a blast using it. I have to RE-learn how to cook on my Kettle. With the same amount of coals the temp is higher and because of this cooking times are shorter BUT .. everything I cook is coming out BETTER !
Anyways.. “rotisserie” was in the title, so here we go.
This maybe a fact known by everyone here but I could not find any mention of “ rotisserie and s’n s “ so here is what I learned.
I do quite a few chickens on the rotisserie ( 1 at a time ) and the first one I did with my 22” S ‘n S placed on the LEFT side of my grill with the roti motor in the BACK left me with the water holder part of the s ‘n s encrusted and splattered with chicken drippings :-( Even chicken juice IN the water holder.
I looked at it when the roti was turning and saw the juices ramping up on the side of the chicken that was on the UP swing and drops falling off about 2” to the left of the roti rod.
On today’s cook I placed the S ‘n S on my right side of the kettle ( roti motor in the back ) and all of the chicken drippings landed on my drip’n griddle and not on my S ‘n S ;-)

In this photo you can see where the drips are landing on the drip ‘n griddle.

I assume this same info will apply to any roti cook.
Hopefully with this info you can keep your slow ‘n sear cleaner.
Ps. My Weber roti motor turns clockwise when looking down the roti rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
Re: Slow ‘n Sear and rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »
Funny .. I used it the same way as you have it in your pic and one day for some reason after I cleaned out the bowl, I put in the SnS to the left and saw the same thing .. juices running into the water reservoir.  Then I just started covering the water reservoir with aluminum foil and then the light bulb lit .. why just not move it to the RIGHT side like I was doing before. I still cover the water reservoir with aluminum foil :-)

Thanks for posting this .. will definitely help someone who is starting new with the SnS and the rotisserie.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
Hmmm, never thought to use the slow and sear with the rotisserie...
I'm not positive, but I think the motor switches directions each time you turn it on and off

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:08:16 AM »
Hmmm, never thought to use the slow and sear with the rotisserie...
I'm not positive, but I think the motor switches directions each time you turn it on and off

That's what mine does.  I usually reverse whatever is spinning  through out the cook.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »
Very interesting.  I will have to pay attention to that.  I have never used my SNS with my roto for some reason, but it all makes sense.  Also, I'm not sure about your rotisserie, but with mine if I put a little resistance on it for a moment it will change directions....so if I got the initial setup wrong I could just reverse the direction instead of spinning my rotisserie 180 degrees.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 01:07:15 PM »
Also, I too had issues with the SNS being too hot, especially on slow and low cooks.  When I used the snake method before I got the SNS I always left my lid vent wide open and barely cracked the bottom.  As per the SNS instructions which I didn't bother reading on my first I figured out that the top vent definitely has to be partially closed with the SNS.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 04:01:20 PM »
I don’t have that problem Mike but I only start with 4-6 fully lit briquettes and slowly let it rise. I also start with the water reservoir full and a drip pan under the meat with water. When I’m around 190-200 I close the bottom to 1/4 open and the lid vent open.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Slow ‘n Sear and rotisserie
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 05:04:35 PM »
I found out about the grease collecting in the water pan and flaring up right away when i tried to roast pork belly on the rotisserie. My solution was to fabricate a grease deflector.   Never had any flare ups ever since no matter how hot the grill gets. SnS can be placed right or left and not have to worry about roti rotation.

16 gage ss sheet. 

Grease drips away from the sns water pan. On this position make sure the damper is on the opposite end.  If you want even more heat,  close the lid damper and crack the lid by 1/4-1/2" with the opening being on the opposite side of the sns.  Just make sure the lid doesn't slid off.

I sometimes use it on the vertical position for smoking to avoid hot spot near the the heat source. Damper position should be on the opposite side also.  No problem with smoke circulation whatsoever.

JV
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 05:26:34 PM by Jules V. »