Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18" WSM  (Read 3119 times)

Madpap

• WKC Brave
18" WSM
« on: October 16, 2017, 04:36:55 AM »
I picked up a 18" WSM last night for $125 new in the box. Seller said it was a year old. I'm pretty stoked. Hopefully I'll get to fire it up this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: 18" WSM
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 04:38:01 AM »
Nice find. Congrats.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
18" WSM
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:12:12 AM »
Great score! Run one or two rings of charcoal in it before cooking on it...vents wide open. It seasons it/burns off any factory oil. Have fun!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:14:02 AM by Mike in Roseville »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
Webers do not have any oil in them when new. And you can't season a porcelain enameled paint surface. You can (and will) always gunk it up with grease from cooking, but that's not seasoning per se, because nothing can ever get "into" the surface as with for example, cast iron.

With a new Weber, you could just as effectively give it a quick soapy rinse with the garden hose if concerned about factory dirt or germs. Of course, as you say, high heat from charcoal would also take care of that, too.

Sorry if that all comes across as pedantic.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:48:40 AM »
"Pedantic" huh had to look it up LOL I think you are good,you don't come across as a Pedant.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 05:20:34 PM »
Cook a few yard birds. They gunk things up nicely and can handle higher heat. First few cooks can run hot.
Still need a 22” yellow

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 06:03:45 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I have a 14" and after a couple of cooks I think I got it down pretty good. Looking forward to using the 18".

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »
Webers do not have any oil in them when new. And you can't season a porcelain enameled paint surface. You can (and will) always gunk it up with grease from cooking, but that's not seasoning per se, because nothing can ever get "into" the surface as with for example, cast iron.

With a new Weber, you could just as effectively give it a quick soapy rinse with the garden hose if concerned about factory dirt or germs. Of course, as you say, high heat from charcoal would also take care of that, too.

Sorry if that all comes across as pedantic.

Both of my 18WSM's were used. So I burned them out. I have only heard that's what people do to newer ones as well before cooking on them ;)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 04:09:56 AM »
I bought my 18 new. I didn't burn it off. Just gave it a good wipe  with a soapy Rag and dried it off. I have never put water in the either. I made small balls of aluminum foil. Maybe the size of golf balls or a little bigger. Then I filled the water bowl halfway with those. Then I  wrapped the top of the bowl with foil with a depression and the center for the grease to collect. Filled the charcoal ring with Stubb's briquettes  and Oak. Pulled about 10 briquettes out of the center of the pile and put those in the small chimney. Let those ashover then dumped them back in the center of my pile of briquettes put the water bowl full of foil over that, put the grates in along with a 15 pound packer brisket. I run with the top vent wide open and I just the bottoms to attain the proper temperature. I also marked my lower-bowl my cylinder and my lid so everytime I put it together it's in the same position. I recently removed the foil balls and replaced them with pumice stones. They seem to work even better. Either way it us easy to cleanup and no oily watery mess to dispose of afterwards. Also an 18 inch lid fits perfectly over the lower bowl and snuffs out the coals really quick.

I am also running the stock door and latch. No real issues with either after a little reshaping.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:18:14 AM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 08:15:53 PM »
@Kneab "I also marked my lower-bowl my cylinder and my lid so everytime I put it together it's in the same position".

I always align my side lid handle on my 22 with the door handle in middle section thinking it would seal better in the long run. Thought i was the only OCD person lol.

Hinds90

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 02:20:02 PM »
That's a nice deal!

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »
Cooked my first turkey on the WSM. Butter with thyme and rosemary under the skin with Weber beer can chicken on the outside. Maple wood and Weber charcoal. Vents wide open and no water. It stayed at a constant 325* for the entire cook. It was by far the best turkey I've had. Pulled at 160*. Perfect!

[attachment deleted by admin]

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 04:50:22 PM »
Sounds like a great setup and prep there.

Eggs?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 08:24:14 PM »
Yes. And they were a hit also.