Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: itching to pull the trigger  (Read 5793 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: itching to pull the trigger
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 07:50:46 AM »
Weber is not the only show in town with gassers. Some people including myself think you can get a better grill at a better price with a Broil King, especially at the more moderate price levels.

I'd be tempted by Char-Broil's TRU Infrared line. They do a fine job.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »
1st I gotta say it sounds like you have a awesome wife!!! 2nd We have a rec tec, weber gasser, kettles, uds, and kamado joe, wife doesn't cook on any of them! Heck she barely cooks in the oven! 3rd what does she want? If she is getting impatient and wants a new grill get her one asap, love our weber genesis ss with sear station, but you can also go with a smaller grill, but I would always rather have to big than to small, with a genesis you can still to nice indirect cooks, I have done ribs, at least two chickens at once doing indirect and I think I might have ever cooked a turkey in it (cant remember) but its definitely doable if I not (I would think this is still possible on the 2017 2018 models also) also napoleon makes a nice stainless steel grill that I think is 304 stainless and saber is another but it all debends how much money you wanna spend / either way as others have said happy wife happy life

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »
I have two grills and bought the Q for efficiency for when I had small meals and now I find I use it most of the time, you can cook indirect with it but it is a little different. You cannot overlook that with a new grill you a warranty.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »
There is a lot of good and varied advice on this thread...thanks so much for taking the time, guys!

I am wary of other brands because we have had a Huntington and a NexGrill, and both have sucked ass.  Our current one is a two burner Nexgrill which had great ratings on Home Depot's website, and it is a horrible grill.  She can't stand cooking on it because it just flares up almost instantly.  I think the burners and grease deflectors are too close to the grate, but could be wrong.

I have decided though, whichever grill I get, it will be kept covered, and maybe even put in our shed when not in use.  We have plenty of room in it.

The point of what my wife would cook on it is a good one.  She really just wants a good grill to cook burgers, chicken, sausages, etc.  I suppose she'd use a flat top insert if one were available.  She's not going to slow cook or smoke anything at all.  It's just for nights when I get home too late to start up and cook on the SS Performer we have, which I would love to do, but she says eating supper at 8-8:30 wouldn't go over to well in our house! lol

Then again, as pointed out above, we might want to get a bigger grill in case I want to do some cooking on it! But that's not going to happen too often.  My cooking is mostly on Saturday or Sunday, in which case I will have plenty of time to use my charcoal grill.

My wife pretty much is the bomb.  She does 99% of the cooking in our house, and she's a damn good cook!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:22:28 AM by namtrag »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »
OK let's get down to it. It's your day off, and we're burning daylight here.

If buying new, you can go inexpensive or go Weber. (Actually, there are plenty of non-Weber expensive gas grills out there ...)

LX E-240, $900

Likely the finest new, 2-burner grill you can buy. Has a side burner. She's used to cooking inside. Don't get a gas grill without a side burner for her.

The $700 E-310 will grill for a larger crowd, but waste more fuel when she's trying to use a pan on it, which she'll want to do.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »
We are going to go look now!

Thanks again guys,

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »
Awesome. I just LOVE spending OPM*

*Other People's Money

SixZeroFour

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »
@namtrag If you are in the market for a smaller footprint 2 or 3 burner grill you should also check out the Napoleon Rogue models. They are well built grills and have a really solid warranty backing them up. And the side sear burner they offer is a sweet little set-up if your into steaks and searing [emoji106]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 01:51:10 PM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »

The point of what my wife would cook on it is a good one.  She really just wants a good grill to cook burgers, chicken, sausages, etc.  I suppose she'd use a flat top insert if one were available.  She's not going to slow cook or smoke anything at all.  It's just for nights when I get home too late to start up and cook on the SS Performer we have, which I would love to do, but she says eating supper at 8-8:30 wouldn't go over to well in our house! lol

Then again, as pointed out above, we might want to get a bigger grill in case I want to do some cooking on it! But that's not going to happen too often.  My cooking is mostly on Saturday or Sunday, in which case I will have plenty of time to use my charcoal grill.

It really sounds like a Weber Q will meet your needs. They are more affordable, a lot less cumbersome, sear/grill well, and therefore, a joy to use. Check out all the praise for it from veteran members in this thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-gas-grills-electric-cookers/calling-all-weber-q-owners/ They also come in colors that are way cooler than the full size grill. Firing up a kettle and the Q will give you a lot of capacity as well.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »
PBE, I just had meal cooked indirect on my Q3200. With the three burners indirect cooking is easy. I found at all the price points for a small amount more the 3200 made most sense. I agree it is not totally portable but it is easy to move around the patio/deck/yard and takes up little space. 

namtrag

• WKC Brave
itching to pull the trigger
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »
Hey guys,  we went to Home Depot and looked around, but couldn’t quite decide on a big grill, but when we got home, I saw the post about the Q series.  Poking around online, I found the Cubs Q1200 grill at the Weber website for $100 and free shipping. 

Seeing as my wife grew up in Streamwood, it was a no brainer to order it. Even if we end up with something bigger down the road, $100 for this grill is unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:19:41 PM by namtrag »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 05:42:28 PM »
Hey guys,  we went to Home Depot and looked around, but couldn’t quite decide on a big grill, but when we got home, I saw the post about the Q series.  Poking around online, I found the Cubs Q1200 grill at the Weber website for $100 and free shipping. 

Seeing as my wife grew up in Streamwood, it was a no brainer to order it. Even if we end up with something bigger down the road, $100 for this grill is unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good choice. Report back once you get it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 05:45:39 PM »
PBE, I just had meal cooked indirect on my Q3200. With the three burners indirect cooking is easy. I found at all the price points for a small amount more the 3200 made most sense. I agree it is not totally portable but it is easy to move around the patio/deck/yard and takes up little space.

I would agree for most causal bbq'ers who don't need to move the grill around and only have one cooker. Generally the dudes on this forum are more hardcore and looking to compliment the kettles so I usually recommend the 200/2000 series. It has a lot more cooking space with marginal cost and portability loss.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 06:10:33 PM »
Nice! When I posted about that one (and the orange Harley edition they showed) here the other day, the weber.com page didn't even hint they could sell it direct.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »
All of the Q's are great. I have a Q1200 also that I got with reward points. With the adapter hose a 20 lb. propane lasts a long time and it is easy to clean. The $100 sale on the weber site is hard to believe.  I would recommend buying the weber roasting rack and roasting shield for the Q1200. Up above I said three burners but the Q3200 has two burners.