Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: itching to pull the trigger  (Read 5792 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
itching to pull the trigger
« on: October 13, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »
I have been hoping to replace our crappy gasser which doesn't work anymore with an older Weber red, green or blue gasser (or even a black one), but where I live, there are none ever for sale, and the few that are for sale, the people want big money.  I go on Craigslist and FB Marketplace in other areas too just to see what's available, and look at the scores people get on here, and it just seems like I live in a Weber black hole!

Should I keep waiting, or just bite the bullet and buy a new one?  My wife wants it so she can cook outside when I work late, and she's getting impatient! lol

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: itching to pull the trigger
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »
Happy wife happy life. Better get one soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »
I know, right? lol

Yeah I just went on Facebook marketplace and there are exactly 3 for sale within 100 miles of Virginia Beach, and the cheapest looks like a 2 Burner Spirit, and they want $150 for it.  There aren't even any old beat up ones for $50 like I see in other areas.   

May have to go down to Home Depot and get a new one.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 01:31:29 PM »
Make the wife happy now... then when something does pop up in ur area ... u go get the thing !!!!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 05:32:17 PM »
In my view unless someone is giving one away, which is rare, by the time you buy new burners, grates, flavor bars, etc. the price adds up. I would only buy a crappy old used one, or any used gas grill, if I were into restoration as a hobby or liked to do projects. A restored old weber gasser is nice to have but the new ones are pretty good too. If you want a grill go buy a new one. Your wife wants to cook on something nice.  A new Spirit won't set you back too much if money is a factor. You can then wait and maybe one day find one at the curb and get it for free and you will have your project and a second grill.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 09:48:27 PM »
Have to disagree.   Most Weber restores are little more than detailed cleaning and hanging some parts.   Of its going to be a "forever" grill for you, yeah, you could sink some cash into top quality parts like steel rod grates and flavorizers from RCPlanebuyer.  But you can go the budget route as well and still end up with something nice.

Namtrag, it sounds like you pull up FB and CL here and there and search.  If that's the case, you'd probably do better to set up notifications.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 09:57:47 PM »
Don't know how old you are wanting to go, but here's a listing for a Genny Silver C, a 3 burner with side burner in Chesapeake for $95.  It was posted a month ago, so if still available, seller might be willing to sell for less?

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/grd/d/gas-grille/6300947853.html

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 10:53:10 PM »
In my view unless someone is giving one away, which is rare, by the time you buy new burners, grates, flavor bars, etc. the price adds up. I would only buy a crappy old used one, or any used gas grill, if I were into restoration as a hobby or liked to do projects. A restored old weber gasser is nice to have but the new ones are pretty good too. If you want a grill go buy a new one. Your wife wants to cook on something nice.  A new Spirit won't set you back too much if money is a factor. You can then wait and maybe one day find one at the curb and get it for free and you will have your project and a second grill.

I agree that not everyone is handy or has the time to refurbish a grill. So for those people buying new may be a good option. However, the old Genesis's are way better built than the Spirit line. I'd prefer to spend $300 on a restored old Genesis vs. a new Spirit (which is now $4-500!) any day.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 02:42:34 AM »
I think I might like a new genesis over a restored genesis. The cost of a crappy old genesis from Craig's list plus restoration costs vs. a the cost of a new one is up to the individual, especially if you buy quality replacement parts. I saw a Spirt floor model in ACE at $349 a few days ago, at least it is new, clean and assembled. Now is a good time to buy a new grill. At HD and Lowes they a have floor models discounted to go to make room for Christmas stuff. If you want a grill to start grilling right away buy a new one. I myself would not pay much for crappy old gas grill, it would have to in good condition at a very low price. The old Weber gassers are nice but they are not 304 stainless and they rust out. Do you think this guys wife wants to grill on a crappy old gasser?  Separate from this I have a Weber Q3200. This will never rust and grills better than any gasser that I have ever used.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 03:09:46 AM by BBQ Jack »

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 05:55:22 AM »
Don't know how old you are wanting to go, but here's a listing for a Genny Silver C, a 3 burner with side burner in Chesapeake for $95.  It was posted a month ago, so if still available, seller might be willing to sell for less?

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/grd/d/gas-grille/6300947853.html

That's so weird that it doesn't show up on my craigslist.  I will shoot the guy an email to see if it's still up for grabs. It looks to be in pretty decent shape.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 05:57:56 AM »
I had thought that I read something recently that talked about how the newer Weber gas grills weren't as well made as the older ones.  I believe it alluded to the gauge of steel being thinner.  That article/post was one of the reasons I was looking at buying a used one that was in good shape instead of a new one.  But if this isn't the case, I may bite the bullet and go with a new one.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 05:59:54 AM »
Have to disagree.   Most Weber restores are little more than detailed cleaning and hanging some parts.   Of its going to be a "forever" grill for you, yeah, you could sink some cash into top quality parts like steel rod grates and flavorizers from RCPlanebuyer.  But you can go the budget route as well and still end up with something nice.

Namtrag, it sounds like you pull up FB and CL here and there and search.  If that's the case, you'd probably do better to set up notifications.

I have the notice function turned on in Facebook Marketplace, but not in CL yet.  I will go do that.  I do enjoy browsing other parts of the country just to see what's out there!

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 07:37:05 AM »
That has been going around. After looking at these, especially the genesis open cart models that are more attractively priced I think you get a grill that performs well. How long it lasts is variable on whether you cover it and where you live. I think you would get your moneys worth. I suspect the cart models might rust. I know that BBQ Guys web site has sort filter in which you can query all 304 stainless steel grills that they sell and not a single Weber shows up so why spend a lot of money on a new or old summit. Lowes as the 3 burner genesis open cart for $699 with warranty. Maybe you can find a floor model priced to go. I would compare that to the cost of a crappy gasser that needs new parts, and you will end up replacing everything. The Weber Q3200 is cast aluminum and does not rust and neither will the cart. For $399 you get a nice product, but it cannot not have sider burner and has a smaller clamshell lid. They are fuel efficient and you can go a long time on propane refills. Unless you are into restoration as a hobby I would not buy a used gasser, and if I did only if were priced low. One day you find one at the curb for free, usually in the spring when people buy new grills and throw out the old one. Pennywise and pound foolish.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 07:41:47 AM »
Weber is not the only show in town with gassers. Some people including myself think you can get a better grill at a better price with a Broil King, especially at the more moderate price levels.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 07:46:11 AM »
Some random thoughts.

Spirits are discounted nationally $50 to help make room for the redesigned 2018 line. But at the low end, compared to current ones, I think I'd wait until next year and get a new Spirit. Longer warranty (if I recall correctly?) and no cabinet to rust.

And I haven't read anything about why the new designs seem to have shorter lids, but to me that looks like it would provide a better overall cook as compared to having a taller lid, where the tops of food might not get as evenly cooked. Might be 100% irrelevant on my part.

The "default" Weber gas grill has always been some kind of 3-burner model, right? I suppose a 3-burner represents a good compromise on space and cost. That's $700 for a new Genesis today, and everyone who has ever bought one new, invested a similar amount on theirs, to keep the wheels turning at Weber. I suppose the 2018 Spirit version will be $500 or $600.

I briefly owned a Q300 and couldn't love it. For zoned cooking I want left/right or front/back divisions. Not inside/outside zones. For that reason alone, at $400 I'd buy a 2-burner Spirit any day of the week over a Q3xxx, which isn't even portable. I bought it for $60 and then spent a lot more on a new grate and other upgrades, not including new burners I probably should have purchased. I barely broke even selling it but it took a long time to get a buyer.

Ask the wife what sort of cooking she thinks she would see herself doing outside. Would she actually grill/roast on it, or use it like a stove with pots/pans?

What I want is for Weber to introduce an outdoor stove top. Forget the grill entirely. Make it "portable" or "for camping" if you must, Weber, but just give me a set of quality round burners for pots and pans. 2, (3 burners at the most) is enough. I can grill on my charcoal, thanks.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch