Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Convert Spirit 320 to table with chimney lighter  (Read 5006 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Convert Spirit 320 to table with chimney lighter
« on: October 11, 2017, 04:16:32 AM »
Found this on the curb yesterday:

No doors, no flavorizer bars, no main igniter and center burner dislodged. The former owner was apparently filing with charcoal and using. once I reconnected burners it lit right up for me. Side burner lit with igniter first click!

I don’t need another gasser (I don’t use the one I have) To fully restore to sell isn’t cost effect based on parts prices.

What I can use is the side burner as a chimney starter. I am thinking of removing the cookbox all together and replace if with a flat tabletop for a prep station:

I could get a new piece of stainless to match the side tables.

I could get a piece of stone to make a heat safe space for chimney to cool after use.

I could replace with plastic cutting board for pure prep space.

For those who have made gassers into tables what was the easier way to connect side burner direct to tank once I remove the cookbox manifold?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Convert Spirit 320 to table with chimney lighter
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:44:47 AM »
Seems like you could remove the main burner nozzles, plug them, then just use the side burner normally. Or get new fittings/hose to bypass the manifold, since you already have the regulator. I have *not* tried either method.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:03:30 AM »
I'm in the process of doing the same thing, but with this...

The hinges on the firebox snapped off so I don't feel too guilty about gutting it. Although I did toy with the idea of seeing if I could convince Weber to replace it for me   😀

Anyway, I have a formica top laying around.

I think I'm gonna cut a hole for the burner and drop it on it to make my BBQ island.

Dude, relax your chicken.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:05:36 AM »

I'm in the process of doing the same thing, but with this...

The hinges on the firebox snapped off so I don't feel too guilty about gutting it. Although I did toy with the idea of seeing if I could convince Weber to replace it for me   [emoji3]

Anyway, I have a formica top laying around.

I think I'm gonna cut a hole for the burner and drop it on it to make my BBQ island.

You can find a donor firebox pretty cheap for that one...

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 07:15:01 AM »
Yeah, all the options have been running thru my head.

But the want for a $20 Genesis converted to an island is outweighing the need for a third gasser (red Genesis 3000 and a copper E-330), or a flipper. Trying to upgrade my cooking area.

I like the idea of a stone (granite?) top for yours. I think that would look really nice, if you could find a piece cheap enough.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 07:22:16 AM »
And working through the gas setup, maybe just pull the right side knobs off, drop the manifold a bit if needed to clear the top.

They'll be inaccessible so they can't be turned on, and you could plug the burner holes for leak protection.

This way you won't have to modify the plumbing?

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 07:22:49 AM »
I thought of plugging, but I may repurpose the propane manifold in a future NG/propane conversion of a different grill.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:40:40 AM »

Thanks @CharliefromLI for letting me talk thru this!

And thanks @addicted-to-smoke for the using the existing setup idea. That's what I needed!

( I miss the preview button   ;)   )

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »
I've got a performer bowl, and was wondering if it could be mounted on one of the older gasser frames, if I drilled a couple holes in the frame. Anyone know the width (front to back) of the frames on the older gassers?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:16:59 AM by SmokeVide »
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 11:20:30 AM »
I've got a performer bowl, and was wondering if it could be mounted on one of the older gasser frames, if I drilled a couple holes in the frame. Anyone know the width (front to back) of the frames on the older gassers?

Not without modifying the frame.  Here are a couple of sweet kettle-in-gasser-frame mods from @56MPG:

SJ:  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mod-month-official-master-thread!/msg134517/#msg134517

18 kettle or WSM: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mod-month-half-baked-wsm-cart/msg245915/#msg245915
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »
Thanks Bob. Looks like it could be done. Gonna have to keep an eye out for a cheap gasser.
Brian

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 12:09:15 PM »

It can definitely be done!

I will look tomorrow to see what I did to delete the manifold.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »

It can definitely be done!

I will look tomorrow to see what I did to delete the manifold.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JC I wanted to tag you in my original post because I saw the ones you made, but was not able to. Glad you commented.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 01:34:56 PM »
Here are a few dimensions that may be useful:

A Genesis (1000-5000 style) frame is 18" wide - outside dimensions, and uses 1 1/4" square tubing, as do most Weber frames for Performers.

An 18.5" Platinum with Performer-style brackets sits in a frame that is 20 3/4" wide. Round tubing is 1 1/4" in diameter.

A 22.5" Performer has a frame that is 24 3/4" wide.

In all cases, the bolts are centered in the tubing. You can do the math. To drop an 18.5" into a Genesis, frame, you'll have to figure out how to add 2 3/4". You need 4 more" beyond that to drop in a 22.5" kettle.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:37:02 PM by 56MPG »
Retired

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 03:19:24 PM »
Thanks @56MPG. Putting a 22.5 kettle in a Genesis frame could prove to be quite tricky. Might have to rethink my plan.
Brian