Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Opinions on lids for a custom build.....  (Read 1961 times)

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
Opinions on lids for a custom build.....
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »
Does anyone here use a 22.5 OTP as their primary grill?

In the process of ordering parts for my double-headed table/ bar build and I'm trying to decide between normal lids from a OTG with heat shields and thermometer and lids from the now-discontinued 22.5 One-Touch Platinum. 

Only downside(s) I can think of with the OTP lids is that the grills would become "one-sided" and I would lose the ability to "steer" the smoke(which may just be wishful thinking anyway).

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Opinions on lids for a custom build.....
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 06:03:22 PM »
You can spin the lid around even if the therm is on the other side....It's not like you need to look at it every ten seconds....plus you can read it even it is on the other side....not a biggie.  Plus I really don't like the newer heat shield handles.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 06:08:58 PM »
Hello , I am new here but I may be able to answer your question. My main grill is a OTP and I have done MANY long cooks on it and can tell you that as far as I can tell/am concerned the placement of the vent has no real impact on the food as far as the travel of the smoke out of the grill. I have the Weber rotisserie and use a regular Weber lid that I got with an old POS grill I got for 5 bucks off of Craigs list.....so I have used both kinds of lids in back to back cooks and there was no noticeable difference of the performance of my grill with either lid. The placement of the handle is the only real problem with the OTP lid for some applications, due to the way the handle is mounted(on the inside of the lid) it will not sit on the rotisserie ring properly. Plus it would be a problem opening the lid on any kind of setup that does not allow the lid to slide back into it's resting place on the rollers.....which is why I got the regular type lid for doing rotisserie stuff. Hope that helps with your question.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
I'm talking about the OTP lids with the vent in the top center of the lid; if I mount the bale, I can lift/slide the lid back, but the handle in the front doesn't give me many other options.  I'm going to go to Lowes in a of couple days to study the OTP again.  Due to the placement of the brackets and the holes for the bale, I'll be purchasing Performer bowl and OTP lids.....that is unless I can pick up a couple of Performers on CL for the cheap.  CL is always feast or famine; Performers are either dirt cheap or $200+.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:32:52 PM »
OTP;I was replying to zava.

Thanks for your reply and the info on the vent placement.  I was looking to be able to slide the lids back as it always felt odd sliding it to the side on a Performer. 

I'm looking to have a fold down leaf on one side for seating/serving and was concerned about the lid blocking my guests while in the up position, but this thing is going to be 8' long, so that maybe a non-issue.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 06:47:25 PM »
OHHHHHHHHH I understand now.  Your talking about the new platinum...  If you could score a couple of the burgundy ones that would be sweet.  Oh and I just started making wood handles for the new Platinum style, so if you would be interested in that....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »
Whale, have you thought about adding your own handle to a lid? I used the handle brackets and Zavo's Handles on my WSM and it looks OEM. I was looking at my SS performer today- It seems like you could mount the bowl to a table with the lid bale on the back and open it like the OTP or the Ranch Kettle.  You can also add your own thermometer in the exact location you want.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:24:29 AM »
Pbe; I'm thinking of going that route and just adding a front handle to a regular lid, that way I'll have my normal handle too.  I'll have to go to Lowe's to play with the two lid styles side-by-side to see which I prefer.