Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sausage temps  (Read 4634 times)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Sausage temps
« on: May 05, 2013, 12:43:48 PM »
I scored some venison sausage from a friend and was curious to what temp I should smoke the sausages for...180? Anyone have experience with venison sausage?  My friend usually boils them, so smoking advice from him.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Sausage temps
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 01:10:47 PM »
Typically venison is mixed with pork for sausage.  I don't think I would take them to 180. Are they like bratwurst?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 01:17:12 PM »
Typically venison is mixed with pork for sausage.  I don't think I would take them to 180. Are they like bratwurst?

These were home made, they came from a deer he got. So im not sure he mixed it with pork. he did add cajn spice. They are as big as a Johnsonvill brat or sausage.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »
I pulled them at 160, very tasty ;D

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 03:39:29 PM »
Nice. He probably did, venison is really lean.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 09:54:15 PM »
I cook sausage to around 165 then pull them. I go indirect first until about 150 and then sear them until browned.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:36:16 AM »

Glad I didn't go that high, 160 was good enough. I just had these worries of mad deer disease or something  ;)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:37:10 AM »
I cook sausage to around 165 then pull them. I go indirect first until about 150 and then sear them until browned.

If I'm lucky enough to score these again I'll try that too.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »
I do the reverse sear on chicken too. I use it on steaks as well but with beef you have more room to determine how done you want something without the health risks. Since chicken is no good undercooked and dry if too done I will go indirect and then move the chicken over direct once it gets to 150, I then get the sear I am looking for while checking the temperature on each piece until they reach at least 160 allowing for the temp to rise another 5 degrees after the chicken gets pulled and it comes out perfect every time. I had the hardest time doing chicken until I started using this method but now no problems. I do the same with sausage and same type of results.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 05:29:16 PM »
I do the reverse sear on chicken too. I use it on steaks as well but with beef you have more room to determine how done you want something without the health risks. Since chicken is no good undercooked and dry if too done I will go indirect and then move the chicken over direct once it gets to 150, I then get the sear I am looking for while checking the temperature on each piece until they reach at least 160 allowing for the temp to rise another 5 degrees after the chicken gets pulled and it comes out perfect every time. I had the hardest time doing chicken until I started using this method but now no problems. I do the same with sausage and same type of results.
Does that make for crispy chicken skin?  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 06:57:36 PM »
It can if that's what you are going for. For the most part we do up boneless breasts but have done regular pieces of chicken as well, the skin can get crispy as opposed to searing it first and then cooking it up to temp indirect which will give the skin time to absorb moisture . If I want crispy skin on a bird I will just cook it on the rotisserie. I like chicken and sausage done but juicy and have found that indirect and then direct works great and takes out a lot of variables that can make cooking either of those types of meat such a crap shoot....such as not cooked on the inside but too cooked on the outside or plain over cooked and dried out. I use a digital thermometer and never do the cut open and peek to see it it is cooked routine and by doing the reverse method allows for better control of the meats temp since it gives you a bigger time window to pull the meat off without over shooting your target temp and insuring that it is cooked.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »
Thanks OTP.. I'm always interested in different cooking methods. Getting crispy skin via indirect is challenging at best..  If I throw it over the fire near the end of the cook,  I can usually get a few pieces that pass muster..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 05:27:02 AM »
Glad I didn't go that high, 160 was good enough. I just had these worries of mad deer disease or something  ;)
I don't think the agent that causes mad deer disease (cwd?) is destroyed by heat anyway. Nasty stuff that!

Glad to hear the cook came out good. I've had very little experience with game. Did a pheasant recently and it came out good! There's venison in the freezer at my son's place so I'm sure I'll be doing that for them one day.
kettles, smokers...