Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Low-budget "Woody Performer"  (Read 3224 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Low-budget "Woody Performer"
« on: September 25, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
Picked  up a performer  for free a couple weeks ago with the table top, bowl and lid all beyond rescue.  Not a total disappointment since the bale, sweeper, frame and ash catcher are surprisingly in a very decent shape. Already have an ots  i also got for free about a month back so i  just decided to marry them together.  With a help of a pressure treated lumber remnants from a deck remodel, a baby is born   named "woody performer"

Chopped off the mounting brackets from the old bowl and slapped it  on the ots bowl.  Installed a spare thermo and used the old ash catcher.

Used the lid bale on another kettle so this will be bale free.  Handle is used for hanging the lid.

JV
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:44:09 AM by Jules V. »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Low-budget "Woody Performer"
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 08:28:35 PM »
@Jules V. , Looks awesome but I would really think about changing that top to a different wood, you dont want a splinter from that stuff and not sure about it being that close to a heat source what it might put off chemical wise, its like the "galvanized metal" of the wood family...But again, Great looking recovery on that project.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:15:58 PM »
@varekai
Thanks for the info. Will definitely replace it. I have some 2"x2" white oak   in hand that i  could use instead.

JV
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:17:32 PM by Jules V. »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:24:36 AM »
Looks really nice JV!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 05:34:34 AM »
Sharp!  Better than original, IMO.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 05:50:32 AM »
I like it. Treated wood wouldn't concern me. If the grill was hot enough to burn it than any wood material or plastic table would also burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 06:06:20 AM »
Not familiar with health issues associated with treated woods so I'll just replace it to be on the safe side.  Will be be giving this grill away once completed  so any possible safety issues is a  big concern.
One thing though it's very sturdy and heavy.

JV
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 06:08:01 AM by Jules V. »

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »
 They sell picnic tables made of treated wood, what would be the difference?

I'd leave well enough alone! It looks great.

Red

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 01:44:27 PM »
Nice work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 04:02:22 AM »
Not familiar with health issues associated with treated woods so I'll just replace it to be on the safe side.  Will be be giving this grill away once completed  so any possible safety issues is a  big concern.
One thing though it's very sturdy and heavy.

JV

Life-its not for the squeamish!

http://noccawood.ca/docs/problem.html
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »
Did they not remove arsenic from PT wood years ago?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 07:51:26 PM »
Yes they did. Here's a 2004 article about the "new" wood: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2004/01/01/the-new-pressure-treated-wood

It's not something I'd want food near.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 09:50:19 PM »
That looks grate! I may have to try this (with other wood, of course)
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner