Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermoter location  (Read 1795 times)

QWeber

• Happy Cooker
Thermoter location
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:23:30 PM »
 Hello all. I am a huge green egg fanatic, but picked up my first Jumbo Joe for a tailgate this past weekend. I was actually blown away by the cooking of the small little guy, however I do wish  there was a thermometer so I am going to place my own on the lid. I have seen both ways done, opposite side of the vents or on the same side below the top vent. The theory behind same side as Vance is your run your Cole's on the opposite side in the air will be circulating over the cooking  surface very similar to an indirect heat source.

What is everyone's personal opinion on this topic before I drill. Thank you all.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Thermoter location
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:27:57 PM »
There's no right or wrong way. Drill that son of a bitch and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 02:37:04 PM »
And welcome from Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 02:45:05 PM »
Welcome to WKC!

In my opinion, if you place the thermometer opposite the lid vent, it'll never read correct, being directly over the coals.

This is a Tel-Tru in a Weber bezel. Ignore the little Taylor; I was testing it when this pic was taken.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 05:23:21 AM »
Way back when, there was a lot of thought/testing into where the thermometer was placed when I added them to the WSMs and the 26 during the design phase.  It did not make a difference.  Where ever you like it, have at it.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 06:10:12 AM »
Food was cooking at about 350-400 (verified with another thermometer) and this thermometer was accurate, also. No guesses as to where the heat was "centered" so to speak! :)

I don't rely on any of these bimetal thermometers much, nor does anyone else probably. But placed directly atop heat, which is darn easy to do if the grill is smaller, will (in my experience) always wind it around like a Buster Keaton clock.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch