Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Taco Handle ?  (Read 6298 times)

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: Taco Handle ?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 08:46:09 AM »

Just got my first new in the box weber, and its the first I've owned with the taco.  While assembling it I thought to myself that this handle is certainly going to be coming loose quite often.  I'll surely be swaping the hardware for something better somehow!
[/quote]

You can always slightly damage the threads of the fastener thus creating a locking feature and prevents the nuts from walking out.  There are a few high temp Loctites available as well which should do the trick, but aside from that... I agree with you
[/quote]

Well, I'm not surprised to hear this is an issue especially considering the "wrench" they provide for the job!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »
is the wrench that little stamped one that also comes with the WSM?
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 01:04:53 PM »

You can always slightly damage the threads of the fastener thus creating a locking feature and prevents the nuts from walking out.  There are a few high temp Loctites available as well which should do the trick, but aside from that... I agree with you

My 26er came with the very cheap, stamped metal, pretend nuts.  There was no way that I was going to trust them when I can a couple of old coffee cans filled an assortment of old nuts and bolts.  Maybe Weber has upped their game since I got mine.  But I would've been embarrassed to send those cheap a$$, hollow nuts out, especially when someone had just dropped three bills on the cooker.

But, I haven't given it second though since then and enjoy the hell out of cooking on my 26er, at least 3-4 nights a week ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

JDD

• WKC Ranger
May The Smoke Be With You!

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 05:28:06 AM »

My 26er came with the very cheap, stamped metal, pretend nuts.  There was no way that I was going to trust them when I can a couple of old coffee cans filled an assortment of old nuts and bolts.  Maybe Weber has upped their game since I got mine.  But I would've been embarrassed to send those cheap a$$, hollow nuts out, especially when someone had just dropped three bills on the cooker.

But, I haven't given it second though since then and enjoy the hell out of cooking on my 26er, at least 3-4 nights a week ! ! !

BD

I have the same coffee can.  Good choice on replacing things with quality hardware.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Taco Handle ?
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 06:40:41 AM »
Aside from a esthetics, the taco handle is poorly designed. Don't be surprised if 4-5 years  or even much sooner from now there will be a lot of chipped or cracked porcelain around the bolt area. Lifting the lid put uneven pressure on top of the lid causing chips and cracks on the porcelain. A fix for this issue is to use a large ss fender washer on top and inside the lid to spread out the strain especially when lifting the lid vertically. Make sure the washer follows the contour of the lid and the bolt is snug... not too loose or too tight.  You can shape the washer by placing it on top of a wood and hitting slightly with a hammer until the washer follows the contour of the lid. Finnish it off by sending /polishing the washer.

1 1/4" washer.  1 1/2" is the max size without being too visible.

The corner edges of the taco coming to contact with the lid will cause lid  porcelain/enamel damage.

I used 1 1/4 washer  inside the lid because it's the largest i have on hand.  2"  or even larger would be better.

JV
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:14:19 AM by Jules V. »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 06:43:09 AM »
Or just buy and exclusively use older kettles from CL. That's my plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 06:43:40 AM »
Aside from a esthetics, the taco handle is poorly designed. Don't be surprised if 4-5 years from now there will be a lot of chipped or cracked porcelain around the bolt area. Lifting the lid put uneven pressure on top of the lid causing chips and cracks on the porcelain. A fix for this issue is to use a large ss fender washer on top and inside the lid to spread out the strain especially when lifting the lid vertically. Make sure the washer follows the contour of the lid and the bolt is snug... not too loose or too tight.  You can shape the washer by placing it on top of a wood and hit slightly with a hammer until the washer follows the contour of the lid. Finnish it off by sending /polishing the washer.

JV

Good tips right there.

You know.. once you own one, well then.. you have one, they made a sale.  Perhaps the golden age of Weber peaked when the last of the welded parts left the building.
The corner edges of the taco coming to contact with the lid will cause lid damage.
I use 1 1/4 washer because it's the largest i have on hand.  2"  or even larger would be better.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 06:45:08 AM »

Get 'em while they're hot!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 06:58:38 AM »

Get 'em while they're hot!
I still prefer a " property designed and installed bolt -on handle".  Can't stand the rust that forms on the weld area especially on the colored kettles. Older kettles are not so bad but the kettles manufactured just before the transition to the taco is unacceptable.  Rust starts to form as soon as you start using the grill. Cost-cutting issues?

JV

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 07:34:48 AM »
Like so?

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/12/30/not-a-fan-of-the-new-handle-and-heat-shield-design-no-problem-go-retro/
This is the first mod I'm going to do to the new limited red.

I've been considering the same.  I have a box of two fireplace handles in my office here at work.  Originally, they were going to go on a stacker for the limited kettle but I'm rethinking.

Are you going to try to match the red or murder that sucker out?

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 07:40:42 AM »
Like so?

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/12/30/not-a-fan-of-the-new-handle-and-heat-shield-design-no-problem-go-retro/
This is the first mod I'm going to do to the new limited red.

I've been considering the same.  I have a box of two fireplace handles in my office here at work.  Originally, they were going to go on a stacker for the limited kettle but I'm rethinking.

Are you going to try to match the red or murder that sucker out?
I'm going to try to match the red with High Temp paint then add some Zav wood.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 07:41:04 AM »
Method #1.

Using fireplace handle strap. Of course, Zav's exotic wood sets it apart from your normal taco handle kettle.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 07:47:56 AM »
Oh yeah forgot about adding the Uncle Al whitewalls, nice touch.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Taco Handle ?
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 07:50:31 AM »
Method #1.

Using fireplace handle strap. Of course, Zav's exotic wood sets it apart from your normal taco handle kettle.

@greenweb

Your kettles are the classiest and best executed I've ever seen.

JV
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:52:02 AM by Jules V. »