Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Taco Handle ?  (Read 6308 times)

mdb240

• WKC Brave
Taco Handle ?
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:50:51 AM »
I was just curious about the taco handle. I don't currently own one (looking to get the ree in Nov) but are the shield and handle part two separate pieces? With all the talent on this board why hasn't someone come up with a way of custom making a new handle that would bolt on?

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: Taco Handle ?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 05:03:52 AM »
I actually don't mind the taco. Yeah, it's annoying to keep tightening the bolts. However, I like the ability to lift the lid without putting a glove on.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »
I actually don't mind the taco. Yeah, it's annoying to keep tightening the bolts. However, I like the ability to lift the lid without putting a glove on.

From the very first, I replaces the cheap Weber fasteners with real bolts.  I've never had to tighten them.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 07:49:56 AM »

I recall @greenweb doing some simple, yet effective looking mods ….

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/sharing-innovative-kettle-mod-ideas/msg272548/#msg272548

He may have done a few others …. Can't quite remember.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 08:34:55 AM »
I liked the Greenweb fireplace handle mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 08:53:25 AM »
Mr Greenweb has as many inventive cool mods as he does whippy handles from Chicago......he even left with some of mine second last time he was here!!! Shiiiiiieeeet.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »
I like mr greenwebs work on his performers and master touch kettles. Always improving upon the look.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 06:30:16 AM »
I came up with so many tacos when they were required -it's for CE/UL compliance and heat.  I had one that clipped in the existing holes of the performer style lid handle (for the old thermometer).  At the time, weber had big issues with it because it was considered a turn off to buyers as suddenly there was this weird winged thing.  People knocking knuckles, what if someone has a bigger hand, what if people think it doesn't get hot.  It was mind-numbing sitting in those meetings.

It's good to see their acceptance and a lot of the creative ideas everyone comes up with.   And any mod involving a beer can ranks high in my book....
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 06:53:33 AM »
It's good to see their acceptance and a lot of the creative ideas everyone comes up with.

Acceptance? Not a 100%.....not even close I would think.

They look cheap, come loose, wiggle around causing porcelain chips and in general make some of us seek out older models exclusively.

I guess they protect some from getting their knuckles marked up....I guess. Never really had the problem myself but then again I never did cook much with a Kettle.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 07:11:20 AM »
Well it had nothing to do with Weber and everything to do with CE/UL requirements.  The construction and how the requirement is applied is on the company.  They could get away with it simply with distance and another handle material -such as wood.  It has a lower emissivity -it's in part, the illusion that something is not as hot as something else and how objects handle heat.  Thus.. a nylon handle is hotter than a wood handle even though they are the same size and distance from the heat source.  So in testing, what is that temperature of that surface.

The knuckle reference was with a taco in place, someone would hit their knuckles on the edge and cut themselves -one of the debates at various meetings.

Acceptance, I would have to agree about how they look and how it's been executed and the results thereof.  A lot of the Euro kettles at the time had a lot of assembly required.  Then there as a push that this was ok.

I'm surprised they haven't included a powder coating kit as part of assembling a grill.  The more effort they could pass to the consumer, the better for the company because they didn't have to pay for it. 

They could have those handles and everything assembled very nicely. Open the box, and done...

As for the chips, don't they include some fiber washers like what used to (are they still?) on the WSM?  The very point was to prevent chipping.

Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 07:15:46 AM »
However, I like the ability to lift the lid without putting a glove on.

If you rock a fully lit large basket of coals on a newer 26.75, you will still need a glove.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 08:35:40 AM »

From the very first, I replaces the cheap Weber fasteners with real bolts.  I've never had to tighten them.

BD

Just got my first new in the box weber, and its the first I've owned with the taco.  While assembling it I thought to myself that this handle is certainly going to be coming loose quite often.  I'll surely be swaping the hardware for something better somehow!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 08:43:33 AM »

[/quote]

Just got my first new in the box weber, and its the first I've owned with the taco.  While assembling it I thought to myself that this handle is certainly going to be coming loose quite often.  I'll surely be swaping the hardware for something better somehow!
[/quote]

You can always slightly damage the threads of the fastener thus creating a locking feature and prevents the nuts from walking out.  There are a few high temp Loctites available as well which should do the trick, but aside from that... I agree with you