Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sear/cook adjustable charcoal grate  (Read 4568 times)

MDurso

• WKC Brave
Sear/cook adjustable charcoal grate
« on: September 21, 2017, 07:15:34 PM »
A little rusty but you get the idea.  This is an adjustable cook/sear charcoal grate accessible thru the hinge section.  The lower portion hooks on the grill straps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Sear/cook adjustable charcoal grate
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 08:24:31 PM »
Mike,

That is pretty cool. Does it have multiple points of adjustment or does it just adjust "high" and "low?"

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 08:36:14 PM »
Thanks.  This is just high and low.  I have a video about 10seconds, but too large to upload here.

What occurs is that at low, the charcoal is to the outside.  But the movement is vertical, not along the curve.  So it ends up in an odd spot by still workable.

I still got a ton of ideas as do so many here.  Keep 'em comin'!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:37:52 PM »
Also, this was never chromed.  Just plain cold rolled steel.  A finish or stainless, well you all know...

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 03:29:02 AM »
I commented on your thread with the dual-level basket, but I guess I should have read further.

Both are good ideas.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 05:10:10 AM »
I commented on your thread with the dual-level basket, but I guess I should have read further.

Both are good ideas.

Good ideas that Weber never followed through on.  There is certainly the economics of how many would be sold compared to those hard core grillers that are found here.  Demographically it's still a small slice.

With this I can raise it up for a sear, lower it to cook.  It's a little different style in that a thinner layer of coals are used because even at the lower position, it's a little closer than a regular grate position.  Just a little bit of change in the technique.

Some of the mechanism was carried over for this gigantic charcoal grill I designed -housed in a Summit cook box and frame!  From a few feet away it looked like a gas grill with one control -dual gas assist taken from the Performer torch.  Then a 4 bar mechanism on the right and the left to raise and lower the charcoal (all under the standard Summit cook grate positions.  The thing was an absolute beast.

There were some issues that could have been worked out as it was only a breadboard/concept.  They didn't think people would care for the look of a gasser that was charcoal and vice versa.  And into the scrapyard it went.....

At the time, the whole idea of SEAR was seared on everyone's brains.  At one point even my oncologist was asking how to get a sear on his grill. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 05:15:49 AM by MDurso »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 05:25:21 AM »
I bet if Weber made a charcoal grill that looked like a rectangular one, some folks would grab it, thinking, "this is how a grill should look today." Funny how the gas revolution took over (a long time ago).
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 05:36:39 AM »
I bet if Weber made a charcoal grill that looked like a rectangular one, some folks would grab it, thinking, "this is how a grill should look today." Funny how the gas revolution took over (a long time ago).

This. I don't want to see the iconic kettle go away but if they made a Genesis II charcoal edition they'd probably sell pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 05:38:49 AM »

This was about 10 years ago, so that Summit line...It's a funny thing, perceptions people-at-large have about everything -cars, guitars, grills, you name it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 05:44:04 AM »

This. I don't want to see the iconic kettle go away but if they made a Genesis II charcoal edition they'd probably sell pretty well.

Why, just last week I saw an older Genesis charcoal grill. On craigslist. "Needs a good cleanup"

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 05:55:05 AM »

Why, just last week I saw an older Genesis charcoal grill. On craigslist. "Needs a good cleanup"

I don't think I know what that even looks like.

I do remember the god-awful kettle with the handle on the front and the criss-cross legs, ridic side tables...  Ugh.  Ihated that thing.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 06:20:43 AM »
I youtubed it.  I think if I cleaned up the rust it'd be a little more functional, lol.  I hate taking pics, I hate uploading stuff.. I hate doing all those nice things that so many others do to share their stuff.  Must be a character flaw, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI6rd7qw15Q

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »

Mdurso wrote;

I don't think I know what that even looks like.

I do remember the god-awful kettle with the handle on the front and the criss-cross legs, ridic side tables...  Ugh.  Ihated that thing.

It was just an old Genny someone stuck a bottom pan into
and was using it as a charcoal cooker.
When that pan burns thru I hope it's on grass and not
some poor fools deck.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:44:00 AM by YardBurner »

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 07:59:48 AM »
I bet it cooked ok, but yeah.. gotta watch it when people get creative....

MDurso

• WKC Brave