Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook using Thaan charcoal  (Read 1427 times)

bigssa

• WKC Brave
First cook using Thaan charcoal
« on: September 17, 2017, 07:04:31 AM »
I finally got around to using the Thaan charcoal that I got from EarthFare on sale during Memorial Day weekend. Purchased some beef ribs at my local butcher, which made for a great opportunity to try it out. I wanted to use it with the WSM to see how well it will hold temp for 5 hours. I used 8 of the bricks to start off with. I started them in the chimney for about 15 mins as I wanted to keep temp below 250. I initially used the water bowl sans water as a heat deflector which kept the temps at 225 with all vents wide open. After about three hours, I wrapped the ribs and removed the bowl all together. That got the temp up to 245 or so with almost no fluctuation in the temp and absolutely no vent adjustments.
As for the flavor, I have to say that it was excellent with a more subtle smokey flavor than I usually get out of the KBB briquettes. My wife and in laws all agreed that the food was delicious.
After the cook, only 50% of the charcoal was used up so I shut down the vents to see how well I could use the same charcoal for the next cook. I heard that you could dunk these in water and dry them out for the next cook, will have to give that a try next time to see how well that works.
I would recommend this charcoal but would have to say that I would never purchase it at full price.
A few pics:

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First cook using Thaan charcoal
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
After you wrapped them, would you say that was about another hour, or about 4 total?

Beef ribs are hard to find around here, and I stopped looking when the only set I could find had basically zero meat on the bone. So I want to know more about how to cook them, since using a temp probe on ribs will little meat isn't practical.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Re: First cook using Thaan charcoal
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 03:31:14 PM »
After you wrapped them, would you say that was about another hour, or about 4 total?

Beef ribs are hard to find around here, and I stopped looking when the only set I could find had basically zero meat on the bone. So I want to know more about how to cook them, since using a temp probe on ribs will little meat isn't practical.
I wrapped them after 3 hours and left them wrapped on the smoker for another 2 hours for a total of 5 hours. The meat temp was around 208 when I pulled it.

I had a hard time finding ribs as well. I was hoping to find a plate of ribs, but had no luck. My butcher had "Texas ribs" which are what you see here. Some had a good amount of meat on them and some were pretty bare. I am planning to wait for the holidays so I can buy a bone in roast and carve out the bones and cut individual steaks.  This way I can control the amount of meat left on the bone.