Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wsm guys  (Read 2235 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
Re: Wsm guys
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 03:27:52 AM »
no water...not needed.

foil wrap the water bowl

try not using a bowl ...when smoking ribs....
Grills

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 03:33:30 AM »
When I was green I used the water pan. Glad I ditched it after reading over on the Brethren it's unnecessary. As many have said, just foil the pan and cook. I know there are cookers that hold a steadier temp, but the WSM is virtually set it and forget after you learn its tendencies. The only mod I've done is using foil to fill in the gaps around the door.

My WSM has no therm. I bought a chef alarm from Thermoworks a few years ago and use it to monitor temp. (I'm waiting for it to break so I can justify buying a Smoke). :)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 04:25:34 AM »
I rarely use water as I only use the WSM for long cooks, then the water runs out and temp shoots through the roof. I always cook with it in place to keep the meat from the radiant heat of the fire.
That's why I stopped using water. I have the water pan mounted together with an old Brinkmann charcoal pan with a one-inch air space between them, to act as a heat shield. The air space seems to keep the pan cool enough to avoid burning the grease that drips off the meat. Foiling the pan makes cleanup easy.

I monitor temperature with a remote probe clipped onto the top grate, either a Maverick thermometer or my Stoker. I have two metal grommets installed that I can run the probe wires through, but 99% of the time I just carefully run them under the lid.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:32:21 AM by Dsorgnzd »

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 04:29:24 AM »
I've never had a drop if water in my pan...except to wash it. I always just foil it and forget it.....when I hang half chickens or ribs I roll with no pan.
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 05:31:19 AM »
A lot of guys also use a large terra cotta saucer from an outdoor planter. They're relatively cheap and seem to provide a bit more insulation than an empty Weber water pan.

Personally, I filled mine with play sand a couple years ago and haven't looked back. It provides plenty of insulation, is a big heat sink for stabilizing the temp, and doesn't spill or evaporate. I think it's the best solution.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:33:21 AM by cbpeck »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 05:50:28 AM »
I'm a foil guy. I also loosely wad up some balls of aluminum foil, place in the bowl, then foil it over. Works great.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 06:26:32 AM »

I'm a foil guy. I also loosely wad up some balls of aluminum foil, place in the bowl, then foil it over. Works great.

How often do you use a wsm?  I haven't seen you post a cook with one yet. Come to think of it I haven't seen any of your awesome looking kettle cooks lately. Your slacking!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 07:51:36 AM »
I rarely use water as I only use the WSM for long cooks, then the water runs out and temp shoots through the roof. I always cook with it in place to keep the meat from the radiant heat of the fire. You can cook without it altogether but it will require a different technique altogether.
You could just toss a small pizza pan to stop radiant heat then right? Mine doesn't have the water bowl that's why I'm trying to see what all you other more advanced cookers do

Absolutely!  I once lost my water pan (wife cleaned the garage) and just foiled up an ash catcher from an 18.5.  Worked find for what I was looking for.

I made a smokey Joe WSM and had a cast iron comel in there, that was wonderful. 

Thinking out loud.......Why haven't I done that mod with the 14" WMS?

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Wsm guys
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »
What about any other mods you all do ? Mines a 2002 no thermo on the lid
Just added the River Country glow in the dark thermometer today. It has a calibration screw and can be calibrated to the cooking grate. Ordered a 3 inch for my 22 and 2 inch for my 18. Should receive my CB door and charcoal ring for my 22 today or tomorrow. Next month ordering the CB set for my 18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:33:46 AM by wessonjb »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »
You ain't playin. I like it

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »

Going to fire it up tonight and calibrate the RC to my cooking grate. Heard great great things about these thermos and really good quality . Best thing was free shipping and both only set me back $36

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »

Going to fire it up tonight and calibrate the RC to my cooking grate. Heard great great things about these thermos and really good quality . Best thing was free shipping and both only set me back $36

I like them

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 02:34:51 PM »
Here is a pic of my WSM with the  CB door . Went and picked it up from Chris's warehouse a  hour ago  since I'm local. Very cool guy and glad to meet him

[attachment deleted by admin]

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
Foil & Water for long cooks (briskets/butts).

Foil w/no water for medium cooks (ribs).

No pan for short cooks (chicken).

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna